MtViking- A little piece of paradise.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like Mike said. I have always heard there needs to be a certain acidic level to keep veggies frim going bad, even though sealed. I never have tried other veggies.

That's true for canning with a water bath but not with a pressure cooker. We can literally everything from soups, chili, broth and about anything you can think of.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Water bath canning is what I believe Pasto Dave is referring to. Yep, my grandma ONLY used that because no pressure canner. She did can meats and all veggies. Acid can be added. It is better with a pressure canner to assure no bacteria, etc. BUT....I ate canned veggies and meats (squirrel, pork, etc.) from her methods and am still thriving at an old age. :lol: I know most of the meats were already cooked when canned and certain amount of fats added. :D =D
I use pressure canner for these things but, water bath for jelly, tomato, corn, beans, etc. Many things were pickeed -- vinegar! -- and fermented.

Heck, they ate more probiotics than we can count & didn't even KNOW it was so good for them. these things aren't "new" just "re-discovered".

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Haven’t been on for a day or so. Thought I’d do a quick update. The rabbits still won’t breed, but they are happy to see each other everyday hahah. They run around and do their little bounce and click their heels thing. Everyone seems to be adjusting well to the new homes. Jasmine is the one I thought might be pregnant so I put a nest box in with her but so far nothings happening. She checked it out the first day and kind of made a nest but hasn’t done anything since. I’ll wait a little longer and then try and breed her. She’s the oldest one and will be six months old next week so if she’s not pregnant I’m hoping she will breed. The new barn cats LOVE it here! They get out of their crate twice a day or more and are just so happy they’re hunting and playing, climbing trees, and getting love. They were from a large litter and had never been outside before we got them. They are going to be a great addition, they stay clear of the dogs yard which is great because my dogs have never been around cats and I don’t know if they will try and hurt them. They hate the canned food I bought Lol they try to bury it and give us a look of disgust so we’ve been giving them tuna as a treat instead. We got the closest dry food to just meat and protein that I could find and they really like that, they’re up to a cup a day. 1/2 in the morning 1/2 at night. There wasn’t any food left in the dishes today so I’ll bump it up a little bit to make sure they have plenty of protein to grow good winter coats. They like their little home so I’m confident we can leave the doors open next week for longer periods and they will have a safe warm place to take a nap. Anyways that’s it for now. I haven’t got any more work on the chicken coup yet, the weeks are busy busy with all the kids and activities, so hopefully this week d I’ll get started on the chicken run. I’d like to get the fence in before the cold hits then I can work in the coup to build the nest boxes and perches ect. Hope everyone has a crazy good week

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keep trying with the rabbits, they will eventually catch on. How old are the barn kitties? Have they been spayed/neutered? If not, don't put that off or you will have cats everywhere! Introduce your dogs to the cats, one on one. Be firm, tell the dog, MINE. Hold the cat or keep in pet carrier, let the dog sniff and smell. ANY sign of aggression, scold, fuss and shame. A loud AAAAHHHNNNNTTTT strikes fear in dogs and children, it is the universal language for NO! Our female Great Pyrenees is a dedicated cat killer, we used to live next door to a cat hoarder, so I can't blame her for hating them. Too late to teach her now!

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
so hopefully this week d I’ll get started on the chicken run. I’d like to get the fence in before the cold hits then I can work in the coup to build the nest boxes and perches ect
Yeah, winter will be creeping up before you know it. How many chickens are you planning to have? And have you thought of what breed to get yet?

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Keep trying with the rabbits, they will eventually catch on. How old are the barn kitties? Have they been spayed/neutered? If not, don't put that off or you will have cats everywhere! Introduce your dogs to the cats, one on one. Be firm, tell the dog, MINE. Hold the cat or keep in pet carrier, let the dog sniff and smell. ANY sign of aggression, scold, fuss and shame. A loud AAAAHHHNNNNTTTT strikes fear in dogs and children, it is the universal language for NO! Our female Great Pyrenees is a dedicated cat killer, we used to live next door to a cat hoarder, so I can't blame her for hating them. Too late to teach her now!
Yeah our mastiff is the one I’m the most worried about. We’re trying to get em used to em he really wants to “get em”. They’re 2.5 months old, the vet said at 5 months to get it done. But we’re definitely getting it done they’re just not old enough yet. If the dog won’t get along with the cats, it’s ok they are a lot faster and the dogs have their own fenced in area it’s about a half acre so they can be separated easy enough. The other dogs don’t really care about em so that’s good. Even if the mastiff didn’t try and eat them he’s huge and young so he doesn’t know he is huge and could hurt them just trying to play haha. His name is odin but we all call him odie he’s a good dog just not real bright Hahahaha.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, winter will be creeping up before you know it. How many chickens are you planning to have? And have you thought of what breed to get yet?
The chickens are more my wife’s project so I’m just the labor and helper not sure what she’s gonna get yet she’s still researching. We’re thinking about probably 4-6 to start with and see how it goes, then grow from there

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
A loud AAAAHHHNNNNTTTT strikes fear in dogs and children, it is the universal language for NO!

And horses, and giant bucks, and all!! :lol::lol::lol: My go to "word". However, my doe looks somewhat amused when I tell her "whoa". :D She responds very well to "back" and has that reverse down pat! I'm retraining self to use "stop" for "whoa".

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We’re thinking about probably 4-6 to start with and see how it goes, then grow from there
Something to think about...I know my local Tractor Supply required a min of 6 chicks(at least, if I'm not mistaken) if you buy from the store. Online, I think is at least 10. Some hatchery will sell a min of 3 but the shipping for a small quantity is high. And then of course you can always check your local craigslist to see if anyone is selling chicks.

Latest posts