Mule or standard donkey

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd rather have a mule.
Of course, I've always really liked mules.

By the time I came along, my grandfather farmed with tractors, but my mom is old enough to remember when they used mules.

Mules helped build this country.

There is a small town close by that has an annual "Mule Days" Festival, everybody from all around brings their mule and ride all around town.

Reactions: TAH

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have real experience with only one mule, and she's a mini, but from her behavior, I'd have to say that mules aren't all that much like horses. They are amazing creatures, though, and I wouldn't have missed having that one in my life for anything. I have 4 horses plus the mule, and if I had to get rid of all but one, she'd be the one I'd choose to keep (though she'd miss the others terribly; an only mule would be a very lonely mule). I swear, that little animal is smarter than I am.

Reactions: TAH

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had to go back and find this thread.
What a beauty.

http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/my-new-little-mule.29804/

Been wondering how that little guy has turned out . . .

I've always been a horse lover, and used to think mules were just weird/funny looking. Then I got my little mule, and she has made all the difference (though to be honest, she is funny looking, even for a mule). I knew I had 'crossed over' when, a few years back, I saw a picture someone posted of a mule that had just come back from being trained to harness, and my first thought when I saw the pic was, "what a beautiful mule!":lol:

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
url
My kind of mule!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...G5wWs2CYYBrtivxQ&ust=1475858753677348&cad=rjt

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay so I forgot to say donkeys up here are around $4000 unless you get a retired one. Most of the donkeys up here are for breeding they retire them around 16 years of age most of them aren't broke to ride. Can you brake a 16 year old donkey? My dad is not paying $4000 for a donkey but mules are only $1500 so it seems that is what we are going to go with.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lot of mules and donkeys mission in life is to stomp the life out of anything that isn't a mule, horse or donkey. Be prepared to keep your mule away from chickens and small livestock.