Mule or standard donkey

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am definitely getting a gelding!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like when a large group of us at work were out at lunch many years ago and my manager said my kids would be smarter than I was? They were maybe 2 & 4 at the time and he'd not met them. He tried to backpedal that but clearly it stuck. Maybe he just meant the combination of genes from my wife and me would be additive. Right??

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have ever dealt with longears, you know . . . . at some point, you will realize that they have those wise eyes for a reason. They see more and know more than you do.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have ever dealt with longears, you know . . . . at some point, you will realize that they have those wise eyes for a reason. They see more and know more than you do.
We had a horse and was so stinkin smart but I have heard donkeys are smarter.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alright, I have a question

I am LOVE training animals so this leads me to thought do I want a trained donkey or an untrained one that I could train:\.

I have trained a horse and really had a fun hard time training her but it taught her and me a lot of things so it was good. I was 12 when I trained Dasiy so I will be 14 when I get my donkey and wonder if it would be a good opportunity for me.

We live right next to an Equine training so I would have helped if need along with my dad. I found a gelded 3-year old donkey for $800 the other day untrained...too bad we don't have the property yet!

Would you recommend an already trained donkey or untrained?

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'd probably go with something with at least basic manners. Training isn't hard but it is time consuming, and you have to ask yourself if you are going to have time to put in around an hour a day dedicated to teaching a donkey.
By basic manners, I mean that you can halter it, lead it, pick up their feet, and touch/groom them without being stomped into a mudhole, or in the case of a donkey, kung-fu kicked. A little foundation goes a long way.

You're in Alaska now right? I don't know what prices critters go for there, but donkeys are dirt cheap here ($300 at most) if they don't have any training. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $500 for anything that has zero training, and I'd balk quite a bit at $500 for something that didn't at least have basic ground manners.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd probably go with something with at least basic manners. Training isn't hard but it is time consuming, and you have to ask yourself if you are going to have time to put in around an hour a day dedicated to teaching a donkey.

By basic manners, I mean that you can halter it, lead it, pick up their feet, and touch/groom them without being stomped into a mudhole, or in the case of a donkey, kung-fu kicked. A little foundation goes a long way.

Are you in Alaska now right? I don't know what prices critters go for there, but donkeys are dirt cheap here ($300 at most) if they don't have any training. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $500 for anything that has zero training, and I'd balk quite a bit at $500 for something that didn't at least have basic ground manners.

Yes, we are in AK.

I would definitely try to find one with basic manners.

Most donkeys around here are $2000 or more so $800 is great. I am willing to put time and a lot of work into whatever animals I get!

Okay odd question,

I got told the other day I shouldn't go for a donkey because I am stubborn and so is a donkey and I would not be able to work with an animal stubborn like me,? sounded odd to me. I am still getting a donkey even if they don't agree but thought I would pop the question and see what others have to say on it.

I am known for being quite stubborn. :)