My garden 😞

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
if you have only cut the saplings down where the garden is going to go, then the other saplings will act as as a backstop, and the bale won't go down the hill to oshkosh....
Wish I had heard this BEFORE I started clearing. There is a pretty big erosion gully beside the garden area....so I started there, so as to toss the limbs more conveniently. Now I can just envision the bale continuing on into the abyss!! Thanks for giving me something new to worry about!! :hide o_O :lol:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wish I had heard this BEFORE I started clearing. There is a pretty big erosion gully beside the garden area....so I started there, so as to toss the limbs more conveniently. Now I can just envision the bale continuing on into the abyss!! Thanks for giving me something new to worry about!! :hide o_O :lol:

If it does, you have a good start at a hugel bed! There's a silver lining in most things.... :gig

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't panic. If the guy with the tractor and bale spear is going to unload for you he can put them where you want.... AND .... put the flat part on the ground so they won't roll and really, since all these are going to do is be mulch... then put the whole flat side down on the ground so you can fork off the hay you want from the sides all the way around the bale. It won't roll anywhere, and you will be able to fork off all that you want in long "leaves" of hay and be able to lay these pieces flat on the ground and stack on top of each other. The flat side that is on the ground, and the opposite side facing up into the sky, will also allow the rain to soak in and the hay will rot better that way too. The whole idea of the "round side up" is to help shed the rain off the bale. You want exactly the opposite. The guy with the tractor and spear can put them where and how you want them. Really, they can.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you generally make a habit of doing things BASS-ACKWARDS?
No! I am perfectly normal. Its the REST of you who are messed up, with your planning, and foresight, and thinking ahead. Isn't life supposed to consist of UNdoing the last three things you did so you can move forward with what you're about to do? Doesn't spontaneity count for anything anymore? :hide :he

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Status: 80% cleared. Rain Sunday and today. Tomorrow, Wed, Thur, and if I need it, Friday, clear and in the 60s. I will be ready for delivery of the mulch hay. IF he can deliver in the rain which we will have this weekend, again. And, apparently, he has a "regular" job, which restricts us to weekends. At any rate, the plot will definitely be cleared, the mulch SHOULD be delivered, and layered, by New Years. Then, it can begin it's magic to transform that sticky red clay into a rich productive oasis of fertility. And I can return to the care and proper tending of the chickens and rabbits :jumpy:bunny as well as girding my loins for the next pressing project. Oooohhhhhh. You DON'T EVEN want to know.

Latest posts