my pygmy is sick?

wafflesmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, got C&D, and electrolytes. Also got the only drenching gun they had they. Boy that so much nicer than a syringe! Got pro-boitic paste too. He somewhat hated that.
Been drenching him about every 5-6 hours b/c he stopped drinking.
The info I found about C&D said do 3cc 3 times a day. Is that correct?

He had a nice normal poo in the front seat of my car. I had a rabbit with gastrointestinal statsis once and remember normal poop was a good thing. Is that the same with goats and acidosis?

Is the pro-biotic paste once a day? Doesn't say on label.

Thanks a lot for all of the help! :)

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, you want normal poo!! That is a good sign!!:)
You for the C & D anti-toxin, yes, 3-5ml, 3-4 times a day should be helpful. Some people give much more than that.

For the probios, give a notch on the dial 3-4 times a day. As long as it does not have vitamins added in it, you can't hurt with too much probios.
Keep up w/ the penicillin as indicated by your vet. Give him the B-plex if you have it, that will help increase his appetite and will help his gut get back in gear....

If you can, ask about the SMZ if he doesn't get much better by tomorrow. That can be given with the pen. You can also ask for some banamine; that may help calm his gut a bit as well.

Acidosis and entro run hand in hand. Normal poo is good, but you don't want him grinding and you do want to see him eat his hay and drink his water by his own devises. When you see those things improve is when you know he is on remission with this.
he will eat, hop, play and get into trouble when he is feeling better, but it may take a few days....

Keep drenching with the sav-a-caf plus. That will push him through this more quickly. For a 60lb goat I would go around 120cc, 5 times a day(for yours you'll have to convert down in lbs.)..... He'll get to the point to where he will see you coming with to drench and he will go to the bucket to show you!;)

When he gets better(I would look at 3-5 days), you can slowely introduce the grain back, by a little tiny handful 2 times a day, but don't push that right now. Push the hay.

When he is back to normal, start the c/d tetanus vaccine series. That would be 2cc every 21 days for a total of 3 shots. Then you booster every 6 months.

Sounds like he may pull through for ya! Keep us updated!!

wafflesmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Despite everything I did, Grits died about 40 mins ago:-(
I walked him outside this afternoon and Sugar was so happy to see him. She knew he didn't feel good and was rubbing her head against his. It was sweet!

I feel horrible! I wish I had known sooner about drastic food changes! I feel even worse for poor Sugar whose cried for him so much, no sound comes out anymore.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So sorry Grits didn't make it. As hard as we try, we just can't save them all. Doesn't make us feel any better though. :hugs

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ahhh :hugs I'm sorry to hear that. :hit
I'm sorry you lost him, it happens to the best of us. We don't always know. I have a "Common Misconceptions and FAQ" thread up in feeding section. It has some good info there that may help you some more. I have also posted my Basic Care Sheet in the feeding section; in light of little Grits.

Being a goat owner for the 1st time is overwhelming. Goats work much differently compared to many animals. Going from small animal to large is a challenge. Just hang in there!! With your background, you will pick this up quickly.

Get Sugar started on the vaccine. The vaccine can help protect them from this happening. It's not a miracle vaccine(they still will be sensitive to food), but it does do it's intended job normally speaking.

Poor Sugar, I know it is sad to see them miss their friend.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
:hit Poor Grits! Poor you! Try not to feel too guilty....you did all you could..... :hugs I'm sure he knew he was loved.

wafflesmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm somewhat better today and Sugar's been getting extra loving from both me and my husband.
Everytime we let the dogs go out, she follows them around the fence. My Great Dane has been laying next to the fence.

What really bugs me is before I got Grits I found this site and had been reading about diet and etc. Then I registered.

After watching Sugar eat and etc. Its very clear now that Grits was overeating everything and picking thru the purina goat chow. That really had me watching her today!! Gave her hay, some chow but 1st I sat in the garage floor picking out what Grits was gorging on. I left some grain, corn and sat there while she ate. She didn't pick anything out. She's also eating hay, grass, what leaves she can find and drinking. I'm paranoid now about her getting sick!

She got vaccinated and dewormed today. The people at the feed store showed me this stuff called calf pac. Says it helps during times of stress and helps when switching food. I got some but not used it yet. Thought I'd ask here 1st:)

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Have you compared the "calf pac" to the sav-a-calf electrolytes? Is there a difference? I'm not familiar with that product.

I thought that you were feeding the purina goat chow as the sole source of grain? Do you also have loose corn? If so, I would be certain that there is your problem.

Did the people that sold you the goats tell you anything about goats?

You really need to get a good book specifically about goats. It will explain the basics much better than what you can pick out off of a board..... everything will be laid out to you in the correct order.

I have been trying to contribute here where I can(just joined myself), but I can not begin to explain everything one needs to know in a short amount of time...

wafflesmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I ordered a book over a week ago. Hasn't gotten here yet.

The calf pac is a powder form of probiotics. Says for healthy animals to sprinkle on feed during times of stress.

I am feeding just purina goat chow, hay and grazing. After Grits got sick and seeing what was in the bowl with only her, it was clear that he was eating the grain and corn that's in it and not the pellets.

He was given to me and it was on this forum that I read about the goat chow being good. Before he got sweet feed and some grazing.