My young girl got bloat today....

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I stake my young girls out on the weekends to help with the food bill, they have a small pasture that is green with some forage in it, plus we give them hay at night, yesterday they were out all day no problem, today put them out and two hours later went to check on them and WOW left side was huge!!!!!and hard!!!!! I took her away from the feed, gave her baking soda, nothing... waited and waited, worried my self sick, then I gave her some peanut oil and massaged her tummy, she started burping, an hour later she is back to normal! YAY! I was so worried, but now she is fine thank goodness!!!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Glad you caught it! Keep an eye on her and continue with baking soda and minerals oil, lots of walking and massaging.

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks! She is doing well, I was FREAKING!

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Left side bloat is usually frothy legume bloat. Do you have any clover or something similar they browsed? Its not a bad thing just produces more gas and great growth.

There has been so much rain that my pastures look like spring grass. Could just be a bit to much of a good thing. I used to worry more about my sheep and that sort of bloat. I found a bit if hay before grazing gives them something in their tummies so they are less likely to gorge. But that's sheep and I'm not to sure about goats.

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think goats are similar. I wasn't worried about bloat because they have been on greens all summer with no problem, but I must have put her where there was more clover/alfalfa than usual. AND I usually do make sure they have some dry matter in their tummies before I put them out, but husband did the chores and I am not sure if he did that. We will both make sure they have some dry hay first from now on! Man, but the peanut oil and massaging really took it down fast so that was good. They do like the clover! I didn't realize that would cause bloat, very good information, thanks!!

daisyjack

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That just happened to my two goat, mine were drooling from the bad clover fungus make sure u follow up with a round of antibiotics just in case the oil went down the wrong pipe