Mystang's Homesteading Circus

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That doesn't sound good at all.....:bow..:he.....when we lived in Maine....there was this old man that lived at the end of the subdivision....that had sheep....and he had a ram that was really mean....and he had some wooden boxes in the pasture for protection and for the ram to batter......I was in the 1st and 2nd grade way back then, but I still remember it....:)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmm......you have 3 rams? you mean two young ones plus the elder? I believe I'd be having mutton for dinner soon. :D

These animals are short legged, stout and a true battering ram (no pun intended) . The weight is just so concentrated tho and you can see how determined they are. I'd say no less than 2X6's attached to well set 4X4 corner posts for him. Even hot wire won't do so much for him, too much wool to insulate from it.

He wants to be with his ladies.:old

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I win! My barn is still in one piece and everyone was separated.

He won to because I have put him with one of have older ewes. I figure I'll keep him with her today and then put him with another one all day tomorrow. How is it that you who have done this on a yearly basis mate yours?

And you're absolutely right @Mini Horses . He wants his ladies and I'm not sure there is much which will stop him. I'm normally not nervous going around him but we then he was in the lean to work one ewe and I walked in I was definitely in full guard mode. Get between a man and his lady when he's trying to woo her coul have spell a world of hurt.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
:D Some control has to do with the animal itself. My mini horse stallions were always handled from day of birth and halter trained early. When trained to hand breed, they could get rowdy but had been so very controlled with ground manners that I could walk them from a mare who was ready with only light resistance and correction.

My goat buck was hand raised, halter trained, and can be moved away but, not easily. He is generally field bred. Big difference. He was not bought for being a lead line pal. However, he is not aggressive to people and you are safe in a field with him.

Now sheep == which I do not own, nor have worked -- seem to be far more determined. As are cattle. I feel certain that once the ewes are bred, your guy will relax again. The lower to the ground types do not give us the leverage advantage of some of the taller animals in halter training. Personality of the individual and "being the boss" for handlers are huge elements in each animal type. Takes some time & effort to learn your own and that species quirks & body language. Be safe. :)

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
School is in session now.... Getting Cabin fever and it's been raining so not being able to get outside. Even when it's not raining I'm feeding the baby or fixing breakfast/lunch/dinner. Going stir crazy. I did get out Saturday and nail the roof back down on the outhouse in between down pours along with picking up a few logs that has been cut down before school started.

We have been getting into a rhythm though and the children are getting past the growing pains of what is and is not expected, some faster than others.

I'm still putting Clara bell in with Bruce d during the day but I think today will be the last day. It's been about 4 days straight now. When do you all normally start mating your lambs? I thought about 6 months but not sure how she would physically take to it. She is in great condition though at 4 months.

Time to get ready for the rest of school...

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
School is in session now.... Getting Cabin fever and it's been raining so not being able to get outside. Even when it's not raining I'm feeding the baby or fixing breakfast/lunch/dinner. Going stir crazy. I did get out Saturday and nail the roof back down on the outhouse in between down pours along with picking up a few logs that has been cut down before school started.

We have been getting into a rhythm though and the children are getting past the growing pains of what is and is not expected, some faster than others.

I'm still putting Clara bell in with Bruce d during the day but I think today will be the last day. It's been about 4 days straight now. When do you all normally start mating your lambs? I thought about 6 months but not sure how she would physically take to it. She is in great condition though at 4 months.

Time to get ready for the rest of school...

@secuono @Sheepshape @Mike CHS @Baymule @farmerjan Can any of you help answer about breeding the ewe lamb?