Mystang's Homesteading Circus

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The final product. Not complete happy with it. I'm terrible at installing metal roofing so it'll leak like a siv but it's a compost bin so I'm not too worried about it. The metal on the gate you see is mainly what I don't like. It's crooked, does match up at all and just looks trashy. One day I'll do something about it.
20200403_162438.jpg

20200403_162516.jpg

It ended up kinda looking more like a quick stall than a compost ben lol.

That's enormous!
Curious as to why it's so tall?
Mmmmm... No good answer lol. Guess so I could stand up in it, use the bucket of tractor to dump what I need. I didn't have any blue print and just winged it haha.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like that idea @Mini Horses !

Actually Mystang, I think a leaky roof is a plus over a compost pile. It should be kept moist. I know we have very different summer climates, but when I used to* pile and turn compost I would have to moisten it with a hose. We are quite arid here in the summer.
Maybe you get too much rain in the summer?

*Now I just dump all the compost in the chicken pen and let them kick it around, then dig the top 4" of soil out in the fall and spread on the garden.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmm, the problem with the chicken pen compost processing is that a lot of what goes into my compost bin is the shavings and chicken poo FROM their coop! It definitely isn't "soil" at that point. Sure wish it was.