New and could use lots of tips!

Vkp23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello! my name is Virginia, been married to the hubby for 18 years. We have 6 children, three boys and three girls Ages range from 16yr old to 1 yr old. We will be getting a tiny herd of goats next week. I have some plans set up for housing and we have a decent piece of property With two modest yards for the goats along with plenty more we can graze them on. We used to have chickens and I was actually a member of backyard chickens. We don’t have them anymore but plan to move in 6 months to a year and will def be getting more then. Anyway, I’m new to goats. I’ve been looking some things up and what not but could use all the tips you can give. We are getting a Nubian buckling, a Nubian doeling, a Nigerian dwarf buckling and a boer doeling. I know..mixed herd. Lol. Most are rescues though. And since they are all young, I figure they will be good growing up together. I was planning on banding the dwarf buckling and allowing the dapple Nubian to mate with the ladies (when they are old enough.). I’m mostly looking to have them as pets and for milking. I’m not really all that interested in breeding as a business. Any tips or suggestions would be great!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is best if they could be fully wormed before coming onto your place.

Also, have them all tested for the big three before they get put together ...

CAE, CL, and johnes. It is a singleblood draw, and well worth it to avoid heartache latter.

Fencing needs to be excellent. Truly.

Goats will not meet their mineral needs from a mineral block. They need loose minerals made for goats.

you will need to look up if your area of the world has enough copper and selenium naturally occurring in the soil. If your area is low in copper or selenium, then the hay from your area will ALSO be low in copper and selenium. Same with local grain,, local brush.... etc

So... if your area is low.... for copper they get a copper pill to swallow, as needed.. Depending on your area, that could be every 6 months, or every year or two.

If your area is low in selenium, then they need a paste with Selenium (usually is it selenium and vitamin E) every month. OR, you can give an injection of selenium once a year.

Also.... way up here in Alaska vitamin D once a month is good.

I had a mineral station set up with separate compartments for the loose minerals, baking soda, and kelp (in powder form, for extra trace minerals).

Free choice hay is good. Especially if they are on a smallish grassy spot without much or any browse free choice hay is probably needed.

For the hay you will have to work hard to make a feeder that will hold the hay well... goats love to waste hay, and will not eat the hay once it is pulled onto the ground and soiled

How old is the boy you want to neuter? I find cutting out the testicles such a great way to go. There are lots of you tube videos to watch how it is done.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the herd. While testing things, Nubians should be tested for G6S. Your Nubian will be your milk goat, basically, as Boer are meat breed and won't produce as much or as long for home milk production as dairy breeds. Her offspring will produce more as a BoerxNubian. :) If you want larger quantity, go with Saanen. But no matter what you buy, goats are fun, loveable animals.

Vkp23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I live in NE Georgia and from having done some looking around on here saw where you can just look up what your area is deficient in. Georgia is one really low on selenium. I have been searching loose minerals. I found one that was pretty high in the copper and selenium. Is it not possible to have a loose mineral that will meet their needs? At least to the extent I don’t majorly screw things up.? 😂😂. I’ve looked into a diy mineral and baking soda “feeder” that looks easy enough to make. Do I just use regular baking soda? This is the loose minerals I found…

as far as the fence goes, they are being shored up with an electric fence to protect them from the neighbors pit bulls. I don’t hate pit bulls but they need to be in the right hands….these people Are not the right hands. They killed one of our cats and ran off (we hope that he just ran off and isn’t dead) another. Thankfully they haven’t messed with our boxer. And oh yeah. We have plenty for them to browse on. Lol. For the longest time we didn’t have any grass…just weeds and shrubs etc. finally got to get some grass to grow but there still shrubbery EVERYWHERE. Plus, most of our property is shrubbery and weeds etc. they can be easily taken around (under supervision) to eat those things.

I know where I can get lots of Timothy hay and alfalfa hay but where would I get other hays for them to eat? We do have a Mary’s tack and feed and tractor supply. Also, is there a feed I could give them on top of hays that maybe has added minerals? Just to kind of supplement them? I’ve read about grains only as treats or for pregnant or nursing goats, so I’ll be sure to limit those.

will goats eat dried grass like hay? Its essentially the same thing. Lol

the two Nubians and the boer are about 4 months old and are the rescues. They have been tested (clean) And wormed and he intends to worm them again when we pick them up. The Nigerian dwarf is about 2 months old and is coming from another farm that already tests and all of hers are clean. I’ll be getting with her also about worming him before we pick him up since she didn’t mention it. Also, what are good wormers? I was looking at ivermectin injections but the rescue guy said almost none of them work well any more including injectables. He mentioned a couple oral ones that still work well but I can’t recall what the names were he mentioned. I’m likely still going to get some ivermectin paste anyway though. I hear it works wonders for a number of different things.

I also read up on doing tetanus shots. How often do they need to be vaccinated? I read when they have babies and are banded, but how often for maintenance?

I think my last question is, at what ages should I separate the boys and girls and at what age is safest for the girls to have babies?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I raise hair sheep and I wean and separate the ram lambs at 2-3 months old.
On the Nigerian buck, can you have him castrated before you pick him up? It would save you having to learn NOW how to do it, plus having to decide which method to use.

I would be real nervous having unruly pit bulls next door. If you build your fence well within your property line, you can run 3 strands of hot wire, bottom, middle and top. Make them HOT. Make the first experience a VERY unpleasant one and they may stay away. Build a tight Fort Knox night shelter. Lay woven wire on the ground around the night shelter to discourage digging in.
We fenced our place with 2”x4” non climb horse wire. If your goats are horned, you might take a look at the non climb wire. The sheep and goat wire is good too, it has 4” square holes, comes on a 300’ roll and costs less than the non climb wire.
Welcome and enjoy your goats!

Vkp23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I raise hair sheep and I wean and separate the ram lambs at 2-3 months old.
On the Nigerian buck, can you have him castrated before you pick him up? It would save you having to learn NOW how to do it, plus having to decide which method to use.

I would be real nervous having unruly pit bulls next door. If you build your fence well within your property line, you can run 3 strands of hot wire, bottom, middle and top. Make them HOT. Make the first experience a VERY unpleasant one and they may stay away. Build a tight Fort Knox night shelter. Lay woven wire on the ground around the night shelter to discourage digging in.
We fenced our place with 2”x4” non climb horse wire. If your goats are horned, you might take a look at the non climb wire. The sheep and goat wire is good too, it has 4” square holes, comes on a 300’ roll and costs less than the non climb wire.
Welcome and enjoy your goats!
I actually have considered letting the Nigerian have babies with the girls first and then have him fixed. That way their first babies will be smaller. Not totally sure yet. I do have time. But if push comes to shove, I’ll have the vet do it.

the electric fence is for sure happening exactly how you explained. They must not feel too big and bad because they haven’t tried to mess with or get at Chase our black boxer. Chase IS bigger than them as he is grown and they are still rather young. They will be going primarily into the yard we let chase out in. Chase is the goodest of boys. Loves his babies. He’s gentle with our 1yr old and the kittens so I’m not worried about him with the goats. Thankfully we haven’t seen them since another cat went missing in that neighborhood. That neighborhood is actually behind our property. We think they might be keeping them up for now. I do know the hubby threatened to sit on the roof and wait for them and shoot them. Dont know how legal that is though. 😖 lol

heres chase with one of his babies at Christmas. (That’s our 3 yr old but he was 2 when this pic was taken.)

Attachments

• CCFB9D91-8B87-42E3-98E9-5F75FE30F2E0.jpeg
    CCFB9D91-8B87-42E3-98E9-5F75FE30F2E0.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 0EB9D27B-4A02-485C-86E0-EF2E43CA21F4.jpeg
    0EB9D27B-4A02-485C-86E0-EF2E43CA21F4.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 92

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ask yourself this; what will you do with the babies? A half Nigerian and half Nubian won’t set anybody’s heart on fire, if you plan on selling them. The boys have little value, as everybody has some and they will have more next year. The does will have more value.

Do you plan on raising any for meat? It may be real hard at first. You can’t keep them all! If you sell them,it is likely that they will be on somebody’s plate, why not yours? There is a lot to be said for raising your own meat.
We raise lamb, pork, chicken and last year, a steer. I know what they ate, I know how they were treated.

Vkp23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ask yourself this; what will you do with the babies? A half Nigerian and half Nubian won’t set anybody’s heart on fire, if you plan on selling them. The boys have little value, as everybody has some and they will have more next year. The does will have more value.

Do you plan on raising any for meat? It may be real hard at first. You can’t keep them all! If you sell them,it is likely that they will be on somebody’s plate, why not yours? There is a lot to be said for raising your own meat.
We raise lamb, pork, chicken and last year, a steer. I know what they ate, I know how they were treated.
What you’re saying is def getting me thinking. I think I’d ride the fence a little. We’ve done meat chickens before. I was able to emotionally separate myself from the meat birds ok. We just were not the best at butchering so we’d likely need to find someone to process for us. pigs Id like to do some time. They smell so bad I probly wouldn’t want to hang around them long enough to get attached. Lol. I’d like to do a cow but I’m a little iffy on the emotional front too like a goat. I wouldn’t be opposed to goat meat. It’s something We will have to see about when the time comes. Perhaps I can do a trade with someone for beef. Idk. It’s def something to think about though!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is it not possible to have a loose mineral that will meet their needs? At least to the extent I don’t majorly screw things up.?
It will help. I would still give them a once a month paste.... or ask the local vet what they think.

Do I just use regular baking soda?
Yes. At a bulk food store baking soda comes in huge bags... maybe 5 pounds or 10 pounds.
I know where I can get lots of Timothy hay and alfalfa hay but where would I get other hays for them to eat?
No reason to have a variety of hay. One hay is plenty. Timothy is a great standard hay. Ask around and see if you can find someone with a hay field, and then buy it when they bail. So they call you on bailing day, and you drop everything, rush out, and load up a truck, trailer... whatever you have, with a years worth of hay. If you have rain free storage for it of course. Buying it in the field is usually half price or better.

Also, is there a feed I could give them on top of hays that maybe has added minerals? Just to kind of supplement them? I’ve read about grains only as treats or for pregnant or nursing goats, so I’ll be sure to limit those.
My feed store has "goat milk pellets" that I use on the milk stand.

Not sure what your feed store might have.. a "growing goat" pellet might be nice, but my store didn't have that choice. :idunno But, browse and timothy hay is enough for them, at least for a base diet. a small handful of whatever pellets the feed store has every night would be nice but not needed.

will goats eat dried grass like hay? Its essentially the same thing. Lol
Usually not. They like fresh growing points. So, if you mow it all down they will really go for the parts that try to regrow.

hay is cut at its prime. Which reminds me,, you need a really good hay feeder or they will waste all of the hay

Also, what are good wormers?
highly variable. Each area is different. Call that one person back and quiz them, take notes.
I also read up on doing tetanus shots. How often do they need to be vaccinated? I read when they have babies and are banded, but how often for maintenance?
no idea... no tetanus up here..

I think my last question is, at what ages should I separate the boys and girls and at what age is safest for the girls to have babies?
You want the girls full grown or at least really close to full grown.

And they are guaranteed to get the girls pregnant when you don't want them to. And yes, I have heard that they can do it through a fence. :lol:

Latest posts