New Calves, Feeding?

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
larryj57 said:
all 6 calves took a full 2 quart bottle this morning and are starting to mouth the hay. I saw 2 of them licking at the calf starter I put out for them. I have seen the same type calves on craiglsit here starting at $70 dollars for 3 day olds and up to $200 for 3 week olds. I think I got a good Deal.
Don't know what you paid for them. But of course every area seems to be a bit different in pricing. As long as you are happy with the deal you got, that is really all that matters. Glad to hear that they are eating well. The first few weeks seem to be the roughest. Keep up the good work. :D

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
larryj57 said:
all 6 calves took a full 2 quart bottle this morning and are starting to mouth the hay. I saw 2 of them licking at the calf starter I put out for them. I have seen the same type calves on craiglsit here starting at $70 dollars for 3 day olds and up to $200 for 3 week olds. I think I got a good Deal.
Don't know what you paid for them. But of course every area seems to be a bit different in pricing. As long as you are happy with the deal you got, that is really all that matters. Glad to hear that they are eating well. The first few weeks seem to be the roughest. Keep up the good work. :D
At what age would you suggest turning these bulls into steers? I"m thinking at about 1 month old, that way they are strong enough to take the banding I'm planning on using. it works well on my goats so I'm familar with the procedure. if i can figure out the picture posting I'll try and get some phots up here and then i can get a better idea for all the experts here, on what I'm working with.

Thank God for this forum, I'm always turning to the folks who have done this before me and no one has ever said how dumb can you be, which is how I feel a lot of times.SO thanks everyone.:D

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2966_img_6272.jpg

I hope the picture shows up

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
larryj57 said:
Stubbornhillfarm said:
larryj57 said:
At what age would you suggest turning these bulls into steers? I"m thinking at about 1 month old, that way they are strong enough to take the banding I'm planning on using. it works well on my goats so I'm familar with the procedure. if i can figure out the picture posting I'll try and get some phots up here and then i can get a better idea for all the experts here, on what I'm working with.

Thank God for this forum, I'm always turning to the folks who have done this before me and no one has ever said how dumb can you be, which is how I feel a lot of times.SO thanks everyone.:D
We did ours when they were about 3 months old. Unfortunately, being first timers, a teste slid back up inside on both and we only got one. Then we had to have the vet come out at about 6 months and do surgery. :rolleyes: Live and learn. So next time...we will wait until they are a bit older and make sure, double check, double - double check that they are both there. Although, we really though we had them both the first time. :D

Sounds like you have experience though and it shouldn't be a problem.

We are all still learning, even those who have years of experience. So no dumb questions here. :)

redtailgal

Reaction score
I would band them as soon as both nuggets are down and can be gripped easily. If you wait too long, its really easy to have one "slip" leaving you with only one in the band.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
I would band them as soon as both nuggets are down and can be gripped easily. If you wait too long, its really easy to have one "slip" leaving you with only one in the band.
So maybe next time we'll do ours earlier instead of later. :D Thanks rtg

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
I've decided to do all 5 bulss at 1 month old, I'd thought about satggering them a few days at a time so i could observe their behavior and well being,Then i decided it is easier to look after a group rather than the ones and twos.

boothcreek

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We band ours within the first 24-48 hrs. Cause after that we cannot get our hands on them again until 18 months later when they get the bullet.
Knock on wood, I have never missed or had a teste slip yet in 8 yrs doing them that young(I have butchered all our steers personally so I know that 100%).

I find once they get older(and stronger) its a heck of a lot harder to pin them and hold them still long enough to do it well and double check. A friend use to get 2 month old holstein steers and they band them just before sending them home with her and they seriously always missed one or sometimes both..... Then one time I tried and it was haaaard, I rather deal with the little ones :lol:

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ok the calves are 6 weeks old,all the bulls have been banded,I double checked to be sure both nuggets were below the band, I took the bottles away yesterday as all calves were eating grass,hay and calf starter really well, did I take the bottles away too soon? Everyone looks well and happy. I really can't tell if they have grown in the past 2 weeks as I see them everyday.