New goat mom to a sweet culled pygmy baby girl

Danielle89

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey y'all I'm new to this site I've been reading through everything on here for 2 days now but I'm still not sure about my questions. I have a pygmy doeling that is 9 days old she has a twin brother, my momma doe is a first time mom and when she had them she instantly culled the little girl in assuming 1 because she was a good bit smaller than the boy 2 she was a little weak and also she doesn't seem to produce very much milk I say this because for the first 3 days we tried everything I could to get her to accept her I would gold her still so the lil girl could nurse I would then tie her (She has a collar) so the twins could spend time together and the lil one could spend time with her without her being able to hurt her (She was very aggressive toward the girl with her horns) I even tried rubbing the boys pee on her so she smelled like him and she wasn't having it any ways. She's a bottle baby the weather got to cold and wet to take her to the pen for a few days this week. She started limping 2 days ago on her front leg and has a runny nose but it also sounds kind of stuffy she isn't running a fever I've been checking regularly because I'm terrified she's trying to get pneumonia I did give her 2cc of children's benadryl yesterday to see if that would help she she doesn't have any kind of discharge coming out her nose other then the watery clear stuff.. long story short I'm extremely new to baby goats and I'm just wondering what I should do/watch for with her and should I just take her to the vet? Any advice is greatly appreciated

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like pneumonia to me. Cold weather can cause these sometime. Aspirating milk seems to be a common cause of pneumonia in goat kids. Others with more experience should be here to help you soon. And :welcome

Danielle89

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank You! :) I really hope it's nothing serious :( she's still eating like she's suppose to and using the bathroom. It was really pretty today and warm so I took her out to get some sunshine she loved it.
20181117_201954.jpg
she so stinking cute!

Attachments

• 20181117_201954.jpg
    20181117_201954.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 165

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She is adorable!:love Hopefully its nothing serious. I always tell myself. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. And you said the weather got too cold to bring her to the pen? I know weather changes can definitely bring on pneumonia. Just really keep an eye on her. How do her lungs sound?

Danielle89

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They sound clear I'm wondering if maybe it's a cold from the sharp weather change I feed her a few minutes ago and her nose wasn't as runny yay but she still sneezed twice after eating. I worry over her like I did my babies when they were little lol. Her temp is staying at 102.9 103.0 so far. But she is still smaller than her brother he weighs right at 6lbs and she's pushing about 4 lbs she's so tiny compared to him and my 2 week old Nigerian dwarf (She's a hunk lol) even her buds for her horns are still super small not even the size of a pencil eraser where his is getting big and spunks is too the nd doeling

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, that's good. She does sound small! The nigie/mini kids I have, by a week old they were already up to about 8lbs! My advice would be to just watch her closely. If she starts to go downhill, not eating, depressed, high(or low) temp, or just appears miserable, I would get her to a vet. But right now sounds like she is fine. Most of my goats have had watery noses every morning since temps went below 20. How bad is the limp?

Danielle89

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She isn't trying to walk on it very much at all she was fine when we went to bed got up and noticed she was limping and now she's not trying to walk on it much at all :(

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you have Bo-Se? I would give her some. I would also be worried it could be joint ill.

Danielle89

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't. We have only had our adult goats since March and they have all been perfectly healthy :( so I have no kind of medicine for them other than wormer and baking soda in case of bloat (my buck had it after we brought him home) what is joint ill ? And what is bo se an antibiotic?

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This has some very good info about joint ill. http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/jointill.html

Bo-Se is selenium and vitamin E.

"BO-SE an emulsion of selenium-tocopherol for the prevention and treatment of white muscle disease (Selenium-Tocopherol Deficiency) syndrome in calves, lambs, and ewes, and as an aid in the prevention and treatment of Selenium-Tocopherol"

Latest posts