new Here and need some help with a stumbling baby

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Roy and Vicky said:
I know he's bound for the freezer and that is okay with me, cause that is less money out of pocket for meals when we are just starting out and buying a house OH MI!!!!I just need to be able to control him to some extent and not be afraid of him. I hate the thoughts of having to carry a 2x4 into the pasture if I need to go in there for something.

he's awesome now, but I know he's going to be a handful in a few months
Have you banded him yet - I would steer him sooner rather than later and before the flies kick back in

Roy and Vicky

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The folks that we got him from are going to give him his next shots and castrate him for us, I believe sometime this coming week.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Why not have them teach you how to do it? With them coming to do it, you have a wonderful opportunity to learn it for yourself and that way, you'll have the knowledge in case you need it with your next calf.

Cuz, admit it. Your gonna be hooked after this little guy! :p

Roy and Vicky

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hooked after? LOL I'm already hooked now. We're looking for a play mate for him now. Got a friend who hopefully has one for us to at least "borrow" for a while. She offered their 1,200 pound steer but didn't think he would fit in the chicken coop door very well so we passed hehee. Her father in law has a cow that tipped last night and has a baby so hopefully he will want to sell it, would be nice to have two to raise together.

We've entertained the idea of getting a goat, but not sure if we're ready for two new animals to us or not. That would be a good play mate for Duh. He's so playful right now and after lifting him out of the jeep friday when we got him home from the vet, i'm not much of a playmate for him since he kicked and tweeked my back on me. Roy stood and laughed yesterday when he came up behind me and butted me between the knees looking for food an I trapped him between my knees til he stopped fighting me. not gonna deal with that at all until he's truly big enough to knock me on my hiney.

Roy looked on line for a halter because the one we picked up is way too big for him right now. So we found some soft rope out in the garage and he made a halter for him, works perfect!!! So i'm working on putting that on him, yesterday I brought him out of his pen and walked him a little in the yard, he fought some, but did okay for the first time so I was pretty happy. Now just to get him a buddy to play with and both of them off the bottle before it's time to open up the airport office, then I'll be busier than a one armed paper hanger.