New here...

sparkles2307

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wont Poor Mamma dry up after 2-3 days without a calf? She hasnt been nursed on since Friday morning sometime. Calf was only 3 days old so she hadnt really established her milk supply yet either... I would kill for a british white or normande calf to plug onto her right now!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She would be starting to dry up but, if you could get a calf ASAP and if it would graf her production would come back. Just be prepared for the fact that the calf may not graph.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
sorry that the calf got out of the pen an froze to death.an yes its hard to explain to lil 1s when calves/cows die.i grew up with them underfoot.so i accepted the bad things that happened.

sparkles2307

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im learning to do that, just accept it, but I am such an animal lover (in spite of my thousands of allergies to everything known to man) that I empathize and forget that the cow will recover quicker than I will!!!

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
Sad news. The got Milk calf squeezed out of the fence thru a gap next to the waterer on Friday. Apparently she slipped on the ice and couldnt get her footing, froze to death 5 feet from her poor momma, who is now beside herself looking for her baby. We had a tearful weekend at our house. :(
:hit Oh, gosh! I know how hard it is to lose one. :hugs I'm so sorry for your loss!

Just remember this: Every time you make a mistake, you become stronger. You can prevent this from happening again. Your little calf in heaven would approve. :)

sparkles2307

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree. DH is already coming up with ways to further "child proof" the feed lot. We have never had trouble with calves finding the few tiny gaps there are until this year and now they ALL keep getting out... we had to chase 5 back in yesterday which angers those crazy angus mommies... you should have seen them trying to "protect" their calves from my ducks...... they remind me of myself with my own kids!!!

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
I agree. DH is already coming up with ways to further "child proof" the feed lot. We have never had trouble with calves finding the few tiny gaps there are until this year and now they ALL keep getting out... we had to chase 5 back in yesterday which angers those crazy angus mommies... you should have seen them trying to "protect" their calves from my ducks...... they remind me of myself with my own kids!!!
Mothers will do stuff like that. Be careful, or they could protect their calves from you!

This is a learning experience for you, then. Take careful note of everything that happens, for future reference.

sparkles2307

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Um yes, I learned that I can jump a 4 ft fence without touching it last weekend when one "protected" her calf from me... she looked like great steak for a few days till I calmed down about the attack! Too bad shes got great calves...

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
Um yes, I learned that I can jump a 4 ft fence without touching it last weekend when one "protected" her calf from me... she looked like great steak for a few days till I calmed down about the attack! Too bad shes got great calves...
Yikes!