New Homestead in Montana

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH from Florida , sounds like you are on a wonderfull adventure .........:)
what do you have for predators out that way ?
We have grey wolves, coyotes, mountain lions, black and grizzly bears. I’m at the bottom of the continental divide so any of those are possible but mountain lions and coyotes are probably the biggest threat. The bears usually don’t come down very often at least where I’m at. The wolves will be a problem in the future I have no doubt. The packs are getting bigger and more of packs keep being formed. But right know they aren’t as big a threat. Plus the big birds of prey like eagles and hawks.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
B940D4CE-3F40-48C1-86B2-3676AC910496.jpeg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. That is BEAUTIFUL country out there!

One "predator" you didn't mention -- Elk after hay! :lol:

I remember when traveling thru that there were 12' fences around the hay -- asked a local "why"? He told me about how the herds came in for feed in winter and ravaged their hay supplies. Since we do not have those issues here, I then began thinking about it. WOW -- those really are big animals and a herd would be like bulldozers. Each area has their local issues. Snow is also one of yours. I remember in Jackson Hole, WY that it was snowing on July 21 -- my DH birthday & we were out there. Here it's about 90 degrees in July. :eek:

Since you grew up out that way -- you're prepared to deal. :clap Nice that you have been able to make that dream come true. Are you retired now?

Some of us are, others hoping to be, others still "youngins".

You will find a little of everything on the forum. Good info, good friends, good people...with knowledge about almost anything. Most of us have some type of animals, some amount of garden, etc. Holdings range from small to large, with huge amounts of innovative though and sharing. I still have a few old mini horses (used to raise & show), plus a nice sized herd of dairy goats -- which I do milk and make butter, cheese, yogurt, kefir, soaps, etc., and chickens..can't forget those workers!! There is a good amount of offerings for natural ointments, salves, elixirs, etc. We're a pretty versatile group. :D We welcome your input now & future. It takes a village. :old

Last edited:

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. That is BEAUTIFUL country out there!

One "predator" you didn't mention -- Elk after hay! :lol:

I remember when traveling thru that there were 12' fences around the hay -- asked a local "why"? He told me about how the herds came in for feed in winter and ravaged their hay supplies. Since we do not have those issues here, I then began thinking about it. WOW -- those really are big animals and a herd would be like bulldozers. Each area has their local issues. Snow is also one of yours. I remember in Jackson Hole, WY that it was snowing on July 21 -- my DH birthday & we were out there. Here it's about 90 degrees in July. :eek:

Since you grew up out that way -- you're prepared to deal. :clap Nice that you have been able to make that dream come true. Are you retired now?

Some of us are, others hoping to be, others still "youngins".
Not retired unfortunately, I’m an electrician to support the family, in my 30s. If I can make this into a comparable income I would totally work my property full time. It’s not in the cards yet but my eyes are set that direction. I love my “real” job but nothing compares to being out in my yard getting something done and supplying our own grown food. The elk come right down into mine and neighbors pasture and we have our resident deer too lol. The winters are rough and the summers are hot it was in the 90s this weekend, but I wouldn’t trade it for anywhere else it gets in your blood I guess.