New Livestock Med Laws!!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
FDA Revises Compliance Policy Guide on Extralabel Use of Medicated Feeds for Minor Species.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm529164.htm

Minor species are defined as animals other than cattle, horses, swine, chickens, turkeys, dogs, and cats.

Extralabel use of medicated feed is not legally permitted and can result in FDA taking enforcement action against the parties involved. However, there are some minor species that cannot practically be medicated in any way other than by using medicated feed. Because of the need to have therapeutic options available for treatment of minor species, and to help ensure animal safety and human food safety, FDA issued the CPG to provide guidance to FDA staff about factors to consider when determining whether to take enforcement action against a veterinarian, animal producer, feed manufacturer, and/or feed distributor for the extralabel use of medicated feeds in minor species. Under the CPG, when there are no approved treatment options available, the health of animals is threatened, and failure to treat affected animals would result in suffering or death, the extralabel use of medicated feeds may be considered for treatment of minor species as long as the conditions and procedures described in the CPG are followed.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Minor species are defined as animals other than cattle, horses, swine, chickens, turkeys, dogs, and cats
That revision doesn't include a whole lot of livestock species. Rabbits, goats, sheep, non chicken, non-turkey poultry, emu and perhaps bees?

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree and I was surprised to see dogs and cats listed there at all. Since when do we eat them? And honestly, I only know of one person that uses medicated feed for goats for anything more than cocci prevention. I guess my thought that the VFD is going to hit poultry, swine, and cattle the hardest still stands.

Latest posts