New member from Maryland...

MDres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have been lurking here for a while, after following the link from BYC. We currently live in southern Maryland, and have 3 horses, 20 chickens (mostly layers), 4 dogs, and 3 cats. We're considering getting a milk cow or possibly dairy goats, but not too sure right now. We're more familiar with cattle than goats, but our current property is better suited to a few goats.

My husband and I have 4 children together, and we want them raised knowing how to raise their own food and "work" a farm. Husband grew up on a 1000 acre wheat farm in Kansas, and also had a herd of ~100 polled Herefords. They also gardened and raised meat chickens. I grew up on a much smaller acreage, raising horses, meat chickens, turkeys, beef and swine. We also had a large garden and hunted/fished. All our meat was processed at home, an art that I hope to be able to pass down to my kids.

I look forward to learning and sharing on this site!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Hi! I grew up in So. MD (St. Mary's Co) and now live on the Eastern Shore. Welcome!

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi! :frow :welcome

I like your plans for teaching your children!!! I grew up doing much the same and am trying to teach my children the values of life, how to live off the land as well!! Good luck, and have fun!!!