NEW method to disbud a baby goat

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
This was very interesting. I was looking to see discussion of regrowth possibilities as most of the study seems to be on 3 months or younger. I wonder if as they age, if they have any regrowth or scurring. I see this, but it only says they recorded horn growth for two months and then compared it to horn growth data---I keep rereading the last part though and I am not sure I follow.

"The speed of horn growth was evaluated by measuring of horn height (distance from base to tip of horn) with a fine caliper. The data of horn height was recorded during two months study and compared statistically, after that; the horn growth was evaluated clinically between the groups for a 12-month study period."

I think this graph they provided may address that. It clearly shows the clove horn has zero growth over the 2 month period, while the saline slowed growth for a couple of days and then no longer had any effect with similar growth rates between the saline and the non injected horn growth.
graph.jpg

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Right. I think though that they injected the bud, charted growth for two months, compared it to data and such--- but then that was the end of the length that they charted it. I sometimes have scurs pop up later and I am wondering if they continue this study, watching say for a year, if it will persist in being effective or if they will see any regrowth. It sounds promising. I would love to not burn buds.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You quoted it yourself...

"Macroscopic study. The speed of horn growth was evaluated by measuring of horn height (distance from base to tip of horn) with a fine caliper. The data of horn height was recorded during two months study and compared statistically, after that; the horn growth was evaluated clinically between the groups for a 12-month study period."

They stated in the study results that the injection was 100% effective at eliminating horn growth. There was really no reason to chart beyond the 60 day period. You can clearly see in that time that there was zero horn growth on the injected horns. In fact, the necropsy evidence also clearly shows the bud is dead. As a result, there can't possibly be any scurs. When the time comes, I hope to be able to use this method. I don't know if any vets around here use this method.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I am sure they will do more follow up research on this. If it's a new study, I doubt many vets would be doing it.

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
I've read a few journal articles on people using clove oil injection for castration with some success too. None of my creatures need disbudding but if they did I would be sorely tempted to try this. Clove oil and 1cc syringes are a lot cheaper and easier to get a hold of than disbudding irons.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will be doing it this year. I have the clove bud oil on order. It is .2 cc per horn bud, just not sure if it is injected to the top of the horn bud or if you do it in the side.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Pearce Pastures - My vet made a few calls after I sent the article - he has secured "medical Grade" Eugenol. Instead of buying a whole bottle he is getting it from his other vet friend and we will have 4cc. 2cc will do 5 goats so we can do up to 10...
I am still thinking of doing this only on the bucks that we intend on wethering.

I will have to ask about where to buy it from. I am sure like all other things there is a % or grade so to speak... it mentions this in the study.
Really am unsure of doing this on a $350-$450 doe. :hide

Curious as to where @babsbag is getting hers.

Latest posts