NEW method to disbud a baby goat

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes I read the article some time ago

Done at a vet school im Iran by people who I know nothing about their credentials on 16 animals

In the "research world" as you say the way it works is that another researcher validates the original research results
And I don't see that anyone has

And what do you base the statement that in the research world they do so much that isn't necessary

You are right a "real study" would have all of that blah, blah, blah stuff

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I have will lots of kids to practice on this year so I will be doing my own little study. I sell my kids as pets even though they are registered and most aren't show quality so I haven't much to lose. I am using 100% pure organic clove bud oil for an online dealer that I have used for other stuff. I can't find any medical grade. There is a difference between clove bud and clove so I had to make sure I got the "bud". My question is still do I inject from the top or from the base? Any thoughts?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
TX A&M and VA Tech have been the main sources for goat studies &/or research. TX because of the huge influx of Boers in the early 1990s. It wasn't long after that VA Tech began and they had annual meetings with we goat groups to assist growers in health and productivity of stock. I used to attend them.

If any such studies or trials were done in USA, they may have info. TX A&M is only lab I know of where we can send for the
G-6-S testing on Nubians. Perhaps your vets can research their databanks to see if anything is under consideration.

I would LOVE to simply inject but, like all, concerns about long term results, effects & possible surrounding tissue damages.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I have will lots of kids to practice on this year so I will be doing my own little study. I sell my kids as pets even though they are registered and most aren't show quality so I haven't much to lose. I am using 100% pure organic clove bud oil for an online dealer that I have used for other stuff. I can't find any medical grade. There is a difference between clove bud and clove so I had to make sure I got the "bud". My question is still do I inject from the top or from the base? Any thoughts?

Maybe you can email the researchers ?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Who is going to do research on this here... seriously. There is NO MONEY IN IT!

:lol:

That is why there is so little goat research done in the US... no money in it in the long run... that is why everything is off label for goats. No one wants to put the $ up for funding the studies so that "for goats" can be on the label. We are not a "goat" country. :\

I guess I see it as it either works or doesn't. :hu
Some swelling may occur but that is likely with disbudding as well.

My concern was about the necrotic tissue and risk... after talking with 2 vets so far neither thinks it is an issue.

I had talked with Babs about it when she mentioned she was doing it this year... she had the study at hand so sent it.... I in turn turned to my vets... worth a try.

I figure if it works on BUCKS than WOO HOO! :D

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would be interested in your results as well. Like you said in an earlier post, it would DEFINITELY be a win for the goat community because disbudding is a TERRIBLE part of owning goats.

Latest posts