new to cattle

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd feel bad for leaving the small guy behind too but I am a huge sucker and a terrible farmer haha. Half my herd are pets.

Here is a pic of the twin calves that I have. It's hard to see but the one in the back is the calf that was 40lbs, his twin brother in the front was 80lbs. So you can see the size difference, but, they aren't that far off in size. And the little guy is the sweetest calf, very gentle. These calves are Holstein X Angus.

View attachment 30622
I wish I didn't have to but we are only being given one and we have to pick, and it's either one or the other. I need to think about efficiency. The smaller one it will likely take longer to grow and get to a proper weight, and if we had the space, I woukd get both... but I don't so I need to look to the future and be smart about my choice... :hit

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I were you (and I have close to no experience with cows) I would get the bigger one. The only reason being Im a sucker for the underdog. I would end up naming it and training it and it would be a whole mess.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wish I didn't have to but we are only being given one and we have to pick, and it's either one or the other. I need to think about efficiency. The smaller one it will likely take longer to grow and get to a proper weight, and if we had the space, I woukd get both... but I don't so I need to look to the future and be smart about my choice... :hit

Makes sense when I buy my calves I always send the buyer with a few things. I want the biggest, solid black one they have. Big calves often are just easier to raise and they usually grow bigger. And for your purpose those things are important.