New to Rabbits

HollandHops

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Okay.. I'll try that tommorow again...How do I know if she is submissive to the buck? and WHY won't he fall off? (When he does the right end lol)

Is there anything else I should know about this whole breeding/pregnancy buuisness?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she's not lifting for him, he won't be able to do much for her. He could also be aiming wrong if he's inexperienced.
One of the tricks that I've found works is to check her lady parts. If they're pale and thin, not usually worth trying. If they're red-purplish and a bit swollen looking - she's ready!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
like @SA Farm said, it sometimes just takes a bit for them to figure it out..lol

we have a doe that tries laying in such a way that the buck doesn't have much room to work so we have to encourage her to move and give him room and then it usually works.

HollandHops

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Bossroo she was pregnant....She kindled today..one baby so far..it was dead..I think she ate it or overgroomed it:

IMG_20150203_143714_441.jpg

countrygirl1178

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Not sure where to post my next question so I'll do it here at what age should you start weighing a new litter it is to cold cold in the rabbit house so would i be able to take them to the warm house to weigh each one and how long to keep them away from mom and not have her reject them upon their return

SableSteel

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
countrygirl, I start weighing at 2 weeks, once they're eyes are open (for production & growth - if you have specific concerns about the litter not developing well, you can weigh as soon as a few days)

The mothers rarely reject the babies after being taken away. I know some people that completely take away the babies, and return them twice a day for nursing, then put them back with the mother once they can move and regulate temperature on their own at a few weeks old.

countrygirl1178

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks Sable Steel i can soon start weighing should i change out the nest also with fresh bedding

countrygirl1178

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I breed my dwarfs on nov 25 and again a few days later she jas not had any kits as of this morning yesterday's i put them back together and he bred her once today i put them together again a d all she did was whine the whole time after a couple minutes she tried desperately to get away from him running circles in the cage

Latest posts