1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Threads - What Do I need to know?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie question on Breeding

Discussion in 'Organic Husbandry - Goats' started by Ynmnav, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Mar 12, 2018
    Ynmnav

Ynmnav Just born

Can anyone point me to a guide which shows the dos and don'ts of breeding within a flock. We started with 3 goats last year and are now up to 12. Up until now, there is no inbreeding. But now we have half brothers and sisters except for one buck.

I want to find out if a buck with the same father can mate with the doe of the same father or not, trying make a chart for myself. I know that a father shouldn't mate with the daughter, but heard, the grandfather can mate with his grand daughter ?

2. Mar 12, 2018
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

Different people have different do's and don'ts. There is no right or wrong guideline.

You said "I know a father shouldn't mate with the daughter". Some people would agree with that some would disagree.
    We had an accidental father daughter breeding once. Big healthy kid. Only issue was the sire's leg's were a little "posty" and the kid's were really "posty".

So what you are proposing is breeding half siblings. We've done it before. No health issues. Got all bucks so we didn't keep them.

Might or might not do it again.

We have kept a buck from one of our does for the purpose of breeding him back to his grandmother.

mysunwolf likes this.