Newbie X breed questions

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks sable steel
here is what is in the background of my black otter Seal- Silver Marten-Chestnut- Siamese Smoke Pearl
here is what is in the background of my Himalayan Seal-Siamese Sable-Broken Siamese Sable-Siamese Smoke pearl so they have alot in common

Obviously, no rabbit has 4 parents; what exactly is the breakdown of the parents, g-parents, etc of your rabbits? That would give us a better idea of what genes your pair are likely to have.

Himi is recessive to shaded; so one thing you know right off is that your himi does not have a shaded gene. That being the case, one color you know you can't get from this pair is Seal. IDK how far back the chestnut is, but since tan pattern (otter) is recessive to agouti (chestnut) you know your otter doesn't have an agouti gene.

It looks like your otter most likely has a self gene, so the probability of getting self-patterned colors like black and siamese sable seems pretty good.

As I said when you asked this question on your own thread a week ago, the problem with doing a cross like this is the high probability of producing 'whoops' colors, and animals that would in turn give birth to 'whoops' colors. If all you want to do is make babies to sell as pets, well, the unshowable colors won't matter. But if you are interested in showing or selling to people that are interested in showing, it becomes more of an issue. When you take into account the numerically small size of ND litters, and realize how many reasons other than color that a Dwarf might be DQ'd (bad teeth, mismatched claws, oversized, etc), 'whoops' colors can become a real nuisance. While you can get showable colors from a cross like this, it's also possible that they may happen on animals that are DQ'd for another reason. With a little bad luck (forget the rabbit's foot nonsense; rabbits love to drive us crazy!) it is possible to not get a single showable bunny from a cross like this. That is why my friend simply says "DON'T DO THIS" - doing crosses that have a guaranteed result of showable colors at least give you better odds of getting something useful.

countrygirl1178

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So what would be my best option for breeding with her i have read and read again about genes so maybe someday I'll get it

SableSteel

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The best thing to breed a himi doe to is a seal, sable, smoke pearl, blue seal, or Himalayan.

countrygirl1178

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well i had at least one successful breeding my florida white had 6 pinkies but one didn't make it ....so my daughter said now you are a rabbit breeder

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd prefer a straightforward self pattern; black, blue, chocolate, siamese sable, seal, maybe another himi.

To get a "good" himi, you need to get a himi gene from both parents. If you have one himi and one REW, the colored areas on the "points" will be smaller. Siamese sables with one shaded gene and one REW tend to be a bit lighter than you really want; himi + shaded is usually a better combination if you are working with shaded Dwarfs.

Last edited:

Marsha Kay

Just born
Reaction score
Has anyone tried breeding standard Rex with a larger rabbit like a New Zealand or Silver Fox? Is there any larger breed you can cross with and maintain the Rex coat?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Has anyone tried breeding standard Rex with a larger rabbit like a New Zealand or Silver Fox? Is there any larger breed you can cross with and maintain the Rex coat?
Need to look it up but a rex, nz and sf are all 8 class rabbits, so all considered "large". Maintaining a good rex coat is very difficult if outcrossing. Velveteen lop breeders have been breeding them for over 20 years, and a big complaint is coat consistency. :hu but they are getting closer. Probably would be to find and use the biggest rex you can find to get them larger.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
The showable weights of the three breeds you mentioned are as follows:

Rex
Sr. Bucks 7.5 - 9.5 lbs.
Sr. Does 8 - 10.5 lbs.

Silver Fox
Sr. Bucks 9 - 11 lbs
Sr. Does 10 - 12 lbs.

New Zealand
Sr. Bucks 9 - 11 lbs.
Sr. Does 10 - 12 lbs.

A Rex on the larger end of its showable size is within the size range of both the SF and the NZ, and even a smallish Rex is only a pound or so smaller than the minimum size for a SF or a NZ. :idunno

As for the coat, the only large rabbit in the ARBA standard with a Rex coat is the Rex. Since everybody and their best friend likes to do all kinds of custom breeding, it's possible there *might* be an unrecognized largish Rex breed, but I don't know how you'd go about finding it.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH @Marsha Kay :frow Glad you joined us! There's lots of great info and shared knowledge in the various threads. Hope you'll make yourself at home and browse around. We also have a great group of active Rabbitteers so if you have other questions, if you post them, chances are pretty good someone will be along to help you out pretty quick.