NH Homesteader- turkeys!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
And baby bacon.

20160917_152219.jpg

It has become obvious to me, even if I didn't know it beforehand, that pigs inherit their attitudes from their parents! We have 5 pigs now. They all have the same father. The spotted piglet is a full brother of our big girls. The other little piglets are from a different mother. The spotted piglet, Washington, has the same temperament as the big pigs. He's sweet but he's pushy and needs to be reminded of his manners frequently. The little girls are sweet and calm as could be. So interesting, because they have the same personalities as their respective mothers. The little white one, Hammy, is starting to hold her own!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got home today and little buckling Storm was wandering around the yard. The pigs were not impressed, they do not like intruders into their "personal space". Which to them means within eyesight. He wasn't very close to them. His wether pal, who is about 10 times his size, was screaming from the pen for his buddy to come back. Got him back in and fixed the weak spot.

Then when I made the rounds with dinner, hay and water to everyone Wendall the wether started freaking out and trying to get through the fence. Then he intentionally spilled the water bucket. Twice. He's doing this all with his nose up in the air. Ah, someone is in heat. Of course my wether has a better idea of what's going on than the buckling. Sigh. When I get a second buck (hopefully in the spring) Wendall will go live with the ladies. He's very protective of them (not with us but he rounds them up when he thinks something is up). And he tells me when girls are in heat. So then I can say thanks and go get the "real boys. Poor Wendall! He and my herd queen are good pals so it'll be nice to put him back. He's seemed neurotic without his ladies.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well my friend's dad just stopped by and asked if he could buy one of our big pigs to keep as a breeder. Hmm we have to decide if we want extra meat in the freezer or extra money in our pockets... Going into winter we could use both!

He also told us he is baling tomorrow. The field is kind of weedy but all edible stuff. He wants $1.50/bale if we get it from the field! I have to go see how bad it is... If nothing else we will get enough for pig bedding!

Finishing up the new mobile turkey coop for the meat turkeys. Pictures to come!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could "rent" him the sow to breed, and then once the piglets are weaned, get the sow back along with 1 or 2 piglets?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's not a bad idea. We were going to ask if he wanted to keep her or wanted a litter and then butcher. If he doesn't want to keep her we thought of asking of he would breed her, give us a piglet or two and split the meat with us. He feeds the same grain as us and has been keeping pigs for like 40 years so I'm not worried about him doing anything to make me not want to eat the meat!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes! Hubby's friend (different one) is haying tonight and hubby is going to help in trade for hay. Who can complain about that? Anytime we can trade we usually take it! And this is good hay too, not the super weedy stuff.

Starting to dry off my milker to breed in November. Yes I know I could keep milking her until 2 months before kidding but I don't want to. Just like I know I could breed my pigs twice a year but I don't want to. I would prefer to give her some time off to put some weight on.

Looks like first frost should hit Sunday night. Going to get some plastic today to cover my tomatoes, which are finally starting to ripen!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah we got some hay for $1.50/bale and we have hay coming to us for my husband's help in the field. Sweet!

Picked the last of the beans and summer squash and ripped up the plants to feed to the pigs. Made some homemade chicken noodle soup (even made chicken stock which was awesome!) and homemade bread... Mmm

Good fall day.

Latest posts