NH Homesteader- turkeys!

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I don't think it is so much the advice that breaks people down as it is if someone gives their opinion, they are told its wrong. What works for one will not work for all. Plain and simple. I have a hodge podge variety of systems that works for my animals. None of them like another's. But yet, if I share what they are somehow I am wrong and destroying my animals. Who, by the way, are healthy, happy and totally fine. I learned a long time ago that others practices don't work for all when I almost killed a couple rabbits due to trying to do what others did that worked. I won't do that again.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think it is so much the advice that breaks people down as it is if someone gives their opinion, they are told its wrong. What works for one will not work for all. Plain and simple. I have a hodge podge variety of systems that works for my animals. None of them like another's. But yet, if I share what they are somehow I am wrong and destroying my animals. Who, by the way, are healthy, happy and totally fine. I learned a long time ago that others practices don't work for all when I almost killed a couple rabbits due to trying to do what others did that worked. I won't do that again.
Totally true. I did have someone try and tear me down here, and could have lost an amazing show bird because of it. But I have learned that every situation is unique and should be treated differently. I have since forgiven that member, because they were speaking from experience.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anecdotal evidence. Take it with a healthy helping of salt.
(I suspect, that the same 'practices' are still here, just waiting for someone else to read and adopt)

Red the butcher

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would like to thank the people who have taken the time to talk to me on here. I know i can be blunt and i have very little tact, if any at all. Sorry for that. Northerners are not known for their warm a fuzziness. I joined this site because of the info that i seek and the info i can share. I am a farmer. Not a city boy, not a wanna be, a born, breed, first steps ended with animal poop between my toes farmer! I was born on a farm and i will die on one. I will not be bullied by text book farmers. Having read something and having zero experience then giving advice can lead to an animals death. I will not be pushed around. If my kind isn't wanted then speak out publicly so that the others here like me know we are not wanted. Deleting my comments so know one gets to read the truth about why people are leaving.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that, and am unaware of the situation. I wish her, her DH, and daughter all the Best in the future with whatever the plans that unfolds for them. I truly considered her as a Friend here and she and her family will remain in my Prayers. Take care and know that there are people who care about ya.

Clearly I missed a now removed post.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is very true @greybeard @Poka_Doodle it just a a person down if it is all the time and soon no one will comment or share anymore. I know many who have left due to this and many who have left due to very cruel treatment by those who felt their knowledge wasn't worth while.
Yeah. I have to say, experience is much better then some website (not this place) saying it is so. Had to present to children with someone who only knows things they found on the internet. Needless to say, I knew enough of it was wrong.