Nigerian Dwarf growth question.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Because Nigerians are so small and these guys are particularly small, probably from birth weight IDK, feeding then 3-4x day is better than 2 larger feedings. It really can cause stress on their tummies if they are itty bitty.

2 of our goat kids this year were itty bitty... they stayed on bottle for 3months whereas most Nigerians can wean at 8 weeks.

I would not recommend castrating a very tiny goat. I think you said you want to stud him out.

Are the goats parents CAE, CL, & Johnes negative? Brucellosis?
You will need to separate them as you mentioned but once you do neither will have a companion. I may have missed this but do you have any other goats?

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah I'm switching them VERY slowly like over a week or 2. Mama got her CD/T while she was preggo and I'm gonna give them theirs this weekend. My little girl is a fat little thing but the little boy is kinda skinny! I was giving them 8 oz at a time and on my days off I'm feeding them 3 times a day. I only work 2 days in a row then I'm off 2 days and I work 3 days every other weekend. I had another thread because my little girls tummy was bloating when I was feeding them 8 oz and some of the people thought I was feeding too much. Maybe I'll keep feeding him the 8 oz and just feeding her the 6 since the lower amount is helping with her tummy. The man of the house has the same schedule I do but he gets off earlier so maybe I'll have him feed them then I'll feed them again when I get home so it's back to 3 times a day. They're eating a good amount of hay only a little bit on the floor when I get home of the basket full I feed them. Found a vet and I'm taking them for fecals and checkups as soon as I can.

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Also I do plan on separating them around 8 weeks as I do want to stud him out and def don't want her preggo yet! So no castrating going on here. And no minerals yet. They seem happy always running around and very vocal lol. I thought they were a little small though! Been keeping a close eye on their poop too. So far just little pellets. Not even the sticky stuff I've read is common with bottle feeding and thank goodness no signs of scours!

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Not sure about the parents being tested. All I could get from the previous owner was mom was vaccinated and she sold the parents. No other goats yet! ;) But I plan on lots of supervised play time!

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I would love to have them some more friends but as much as these babies cost $600 for 2 more (and that's low balling in my area) just isn't in the cards. I'll be on the lookout though for anyone who is selling some for cheap. I found these 2 on Facebook from a breeder who was getting out of the hobby and just needed to find them good homes quick and she gave them to me for free.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish I could bring my goats to SC and sell them. If I can get $150.00 for an 8 week old kid I'm happy. Mine are mostly Alpines and I sell them with registration papers but none of my goats have been shown. No way could I sell them for $300, that is just crazy for a pet goat.