Norseofcourse Lambing 2016 - recap and more pics

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, she was in beginning labor, but she stopped. Either she didn't like me being out there, or the rain keeping her inside, or it was too close to feeding time and she didn't want to miss it, or she didn't think I've waited long enough... lol

Everyone is fed, watered and settled in for the night. I may check Rose once or twice, but I don't think she'll lamb tonight. She may lamb early in the morning, and I'm sure she is very close.

Brosa doesn't seem as close, but her udder is quite full - she may be closer than I think.

The lambs are doing well, I have some pics on my camera I'll upload soon. Did I mention I wanted boys? Did I mention so far it's 3 girls and 1 boy?

So the wait continues!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @pgrommesh from the front range in Colorado :frow Welcome to BYH! Glad you joined us :D If you have some pics of your sheep, we'd love to see them! We thrive on pics here ;) Hope your ram did his duty as well.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rose and Brosa are still holding out (or is that holding in? LOL). They keep acting like they're having little 'mini-contractions', or maybe they're just shifting position. I was just out at the barn a bit ago - when I went in, Rose and Brosa were both laying down. Brosa gave what looked like a few small pushes, then got up, pawed a bit, then laid back down again. Another few small pushes, then she laid her head down and took a nap. Rose, meanwhile, got up, pawed a couple times, laid back down, and curled up her upper lip (a sheep having contractions will do that, too). Rose's vulva is looking puffier and looser. Brosa's looks a little like her mom's the day before she gave birth.

So, I'll just wait. And meanwhile, here's the pictures of Lukka's lambs I meant to post a few days ago:

Firstborn:

lukkas1st2016.jpg

and secondborn:

lukka2nd2016.jpg

They are both black and white. They may turn grey, or they may stay solid black - they have a 50/50 chance of either, since Lukka carries both solid and grey pattern genes. They have reached the 'popcorn' stage, and have been bouncing all over the pen, and Gracie's lambs have, too. They usually act the cutest when I have not taken the camera out to the barn with me... :rolleyes:

We have a low of 19° tonight, then the temperatures moderate again. A lot of the snow from yesterday and last night has melted, and we're not supposed to get much more. We do have more rain coming, though. I hate dealing with mud, but I'll be glad for the warmer weather.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still waiting. Rose's vulva is finally getting 'jiggly', which *should* mean she's getting very close. With Brosa it's a bit harder, as I only have one lambing of hers to go by, as far as what signs she has. But Brosa's udder is full and tight, and has been for days, and that's got to be uncomfortable. Her vulva has been looking puffier and somewhat relaxed lately, too, and she passed a little more mucous again this evening.

I'm not going to do a nighttime check tonight, but I'll be out very early in the morning.

The lambs are doing great! I let everyone out in the sheep's pasture on Sunday, once it finally warmed up and the sun started coming out. The little ones had such a great time running around and jumping! I only got one picture, I was having too much fun watching them to take pictures - and they moved so fast anyway! Here is Lukka's firstborn:

lamb15a.jpg

Everyone was stuck inside the run-in today, since it rained all day. The lambs were getting really bored. There was finally a short break in the rain in the evening and they got outside to run around for a bit. The rain is supposed to end tonight, and we are supposed have fair weather for at least the next week! I will be happy to see the mud dry up, and start getting some yard and garden work done again.