norseofcourse's journal - spring and show update

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
They sure look like a great group to watch. It will help to have the fencing done, but the work to get there can be exhausting. Something that I do in areas that are overgrown is to take a cheap push mower and use it on the 2 rear wheels, pushing down on the handle and keeping the front tires in the air....if ya lower it down, ya can whittle it all the way to the ground, also it will uncover any limbs or sticks that may be hidden. I use a cheap mower because if something does happen and it breaks, it is not a big loss. The one I use now has lasted for 4yrs so far....it sure beats a sling-blade, or weed eater for that matter.
Yep, I've done that with my mower a lot at times! I read your journal and all the work you're doing on your fencing, and I am just amazed at how much you get done, with a lot more challenges than I have here.

Last edited:

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I separated Rose's lamb and Gracie's twins last night when I fed, then headed out at 6 this morning for my first serious milking of the year :)

Gracie was all ready to be first, and she hopped right up on the stand. She gave a little over 10 ounces. I'm sure she had more, but she was either holding back some for her twins, or just not letting it down as much because we're out of practice. But she behaved really well.

Rose took a little more convincing to come into the milking area, but once there she hopped right up on the stand. She was a little fidgety at first but then settled down. Rose gave nearly 14 ounces! She still had some, too, but she was behaving well so I stopped.

I let their lambs out, and they immediately nursed, and judging by the sight and sounds, they were getting plenty :) They had been penned a little over 9 hours - they had hay, feed and water but they were very happy to nurse again.

Took the milk in to strain and cool it. Had to get the 'milk shot' :

milk2017.jpg

I'm going to need bigger jars soon - not bad for my little sheep :)

I'm going to make some fudge for a meeting later today, then I'll start thinking about what to make next. I haven't made yogurt yet, so that's on the list for this year.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are so kind with your words...thanks!
Glad the girls are cooperating with and for ya, I'm sure your efforts will be rewarded with whatever ya end up making with the milk. I have never had fresh milk of any kind, except for coconut....and I always got slapped, pinched, or poked when I got caught getting even that. Usually Mom was making a coconut cake when I'd get caught at it....:)

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's been a busy few weeks! I got ready for the Great Lakes Fiber Show, then after the show I started losing my internet connection. I could connect a few times but then it finally died altogether. After some time on the phone with a tech trying some things, I ended up switching over to a slightly different service, they came out and rewired some things and gave me a new modem.

The fiber show went well! The predicted storms never appeared, which was great because I had an outside booth. I took roving and some fleeces, and sold some of both. I got one sorting table made (3' by 5' frame with plastic hardware cloth, with step-in posts, rolls up for easy carrying and storage). I had another one set up with some wool on it that I was picking through. I had so many people look at it and say, "That is such a great idea!", but no buyers, and I thought the price I had on it was reasonable. Some of the comments led me to believe people were figuring they could make one themselves.

But the big hit was something that was almost a last-minute addition. I had learned last year about Ohio's cottage food laws, which include fudge in the permitted list. So I got a thermometer and started working on making my sheep's milk fudge recipe more consistent. My friends were more than happy to help me test the results :) It went well enough that I figured out packaging and labeling, and made a few batches to take. I nearly sold out on Saturday, so I got up early Sunday to make another batch - and by halfway through Sunday, I was sold out of fudge :)

I learned a couple things - people love chocolate, and giving out samples really helps sell fudge.

So, the milking has been going pretty well. I'm milking three ewes so far - Gracie, Rose and Lukka. I may not add the others - Brosa has such tiny teats, and Druna is a first-timer and I think she'd get more frantic if I separate her lamb from her for the night.

I've discovered I have a large elderberry bush in the pasture. It's been there awhile, but I hadn't known what it was. It's just about to flower. I'll wait till I get berries (if the birds let me), then I'll move a few starts out of there and take the bush out, since the leaves are toxic to livestock.

I'm about ready to get the tomatoes and zucchini planted, and probably some cantaloupe too. I'm still clearing along the fencelines for the upcoming fence work, we've had so much rain everything is growing fast. But we've had a nice stretch of days lately, overall it's been a beautiful spring. Hope all is going well with everyone else!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the show and you just never know what people will go for. Sounds like you need more fudge!

Latest posts