Not eating well (Bottle babies)

Gone Country

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
username taken said:
oh man oh man oh man

they are just too cute! definitely boer cross, with a hint of dairy, spanish, kiko, something to that effect

oh yeah, he is tiny! but in that pic you can see what I mean about the sides - they are sunken in, in this pic. thats a good example of what I'm talking about :)
Yeah, those pics were taken before they ate anything. After he ate this morning, he had a nice flat side. No sinking side or bulging. :)

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
excellent!

I just want to say again, you are doing a brilliant job!

keep us updated ...

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are adorable! And, you really are doing an excellent job with them.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kittylove.gif

Gone Country

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok finally got a chance to go to the feed store. I didn't see anything called Probios, but I did find Probiotic Powder.. Is this the right stuff? Says to feed 2.5g/head/day.

img3318.jpg

farmin'chick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Looks like you've got them started really well! What I've learned I've learned through terror, trial, and error having started with a very sick herd of Boers that we've worked hard to pull through their first 6 months with us.

* I had the vet teach me to tube feed. This will help if you've got one that won't nurse, that quits nursing, or that isn't getting enough nutrition.

* In our part of the country, we have a selenium soil deficiency. The vet recommends a shot of Vitamin E and Selenium, especially for the weak ones.

* I bought baby bottles and one preemie bottle, and a selection of nipples. The preemie nipple is smaller and straighter -- none of my goats will take the lambing nipples, so baby bottles it is. Also, the vet suggests taking a scissors and clipping the hole in the nipple to make it produce more milk faster with less sucking effort. Some of the tiny goats prefer the preemie nipple.

* The last one I raised had nursed on the mom, and HATED the taste of milk replacer. I finally got some commercial goats milk and mixed it with cows milk, and eventually got her on just the cows milk. She's weaned now, and 35 lbs at 8 weeks.

Our problems included a herd that was sick, a number of does that were bred that shouldn't have been, because of condition, age, mastitis, etc. so we had a lot of babies that needed to be rescued as well as a lot of still births, etc....

We think we've got everything under better control now, and are looking forward to a better year. Best success to you and your cuddly babies. Oh, yeah -- the milk replacer hater was also totally not happy with the bottle, having started on her mom who ran out of milk...so when she finally latched on to my earlobe (!) I sneaked the bottle up under my chin and she took it. She still likes to cuddle her head up under my chin...(smiles)

Gone Country

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it was me finally learning or the little boy, but he's actually eating a lot better now. I just started using the Priobiotics yesterday afternoon so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Last several feedings, he's been eating about 3/4 cup (per feeding) of replacer milk compared to his 1/4cup in the beginning. The girl is up to 1 and 1/2 cups per feeding. I also found out that he has to lay in my lap in order to eat. Security/Comfort thing I guess? She will stand up and eat and I don't even have to hold her anymore.

He's also dancing around and playing more than before. I put in a couple square concrete block things (not too tall for injury of course) and they've been having a blast jumping on it and playing on it. Hubby says when they get to dancing around, it looks like they are having seizures in mid-air - legs going every which direction, body twisting this way and that way. :gig