Now for a real challenge

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you think you can return him to the wild? Or will he be a cute yard pet?
Well, I'll try to release him into my back garden which already has a number of hedgehogs. The back garden is continuous with the front garden. To be honest 'garden' is a bit fanciful as most is rough grass and trees. The front garden opens out into a large rough area which continues to a big gully and more fields. The lane is about 300 yards or more away, so the very light traffic on this road doesn't affect wildlife much. He'll be getting his food and water, too. Hopefully he'll find himself a prickly lady friend or two.

BreanneRN

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, I'll try to release him into my back garden which already has a number of hedgehogs. The back garden is continuous with the front garden. To be honest 'garden' is a bit fanciful as most is rough grass and trees. The front garden opens out into a large rough area which continues to a big gully and more fields. The lane is about 300 yards or more away, so the very light traffic on this road doesn't affect wildlife much. He'll be getting his food and water, too. Hopefully he'll find himself a prickly lady friend or two.
I am filled with envy! I so want a garden filled with hedgehogs! Post a pic sometime if you can, and so glad he is doing well!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I weighed him yesterday to find he was 595g.....that's almost 100g per week in weight gain and almost 5 times his weight of 25th June..

So...plan to release him when the current dry weather breaks (whilst providing him with food and water).

He's looking HUGE and very prickly now. I'll take a pic on his release.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
We only see them in pet stores here. Occasionally there is a listing on CL. They aren't wild here. :D He's cute.

We have ground hogs here...they will sure eat your garden veggies!!! Grandad used to bring them home for dinner.:lol: They get large!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
And so to release.

This is Pan today....just over 5 weeks since I found him.....and I've released him into the garden. Almost 550g heavier than his 107g when I found him (765g today).

Pan the Man (1).jpg

Pan the Man.jpg

Now he's huge and a bit fat, so plenty of reserve to start off with. I'm leaving food and water out for him, too, so he has time to adjust.

Good luck (not so little) Pan.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
And so to release.

This is Pan today....just over 5 weeks since I found him.....and I've released him into the garden. Almost 550g heavier than his 107g when I found him (765g today).

View attachment 64815

View attachment 64816

Now he's huge and a bit fat, so plenty of reserve to start off with. I'm leaving food and water out for him, too, so he has time to adjust.

Good luck (not so little) Pan.
He's so adorable :love He looks so fat and happy!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen him since, but somebody is polishing off the food I leave for him nightly (I think it is him). I'm sorry to see him go really, but if he's gone back to being the wild animal he should be, then this is the best possible outcome.