Official Poll: What are the most rewarding parts of having your own herd?

What are the most rewarding parts of having your own herd?

• I use my herd as a way to provide for me and my family

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • They're fun! They are something that I look forward too when I get home

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • To improve my sense of self-sufficiency

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • It's relaxing just to look at them

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • My herd helps to protects me

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I love the companionship

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • They help me stay active

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • They give me a sense of responsibility

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • It's nice to know that I can take care of something other than myself

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Other (please reply with your other reasons)

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters

dawnwinds58

Just born
Reaction score
Having my backyard herd also provides healthily raised meats with no steroids, antibiotics, nor GMO feeds used in their raising. It also means they are slaughtered with a kind, respectful hand with the least stress or pain possible. My food has a face. I have comforted it, loved it, caressed it, and treated it with care and compassion. No one could possibly be kinder to the livestock I have raised, or value the sacrifice of life as much as I do. My herd is 100% personal, and I'll keep it that way.

doohinkey

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They give more meaning to my life and are a constant source of learning. I love sitting outside and watching two kids practicing head butting one another and listening to the ducks, who sound like they just heard the best joke ever told. I was able to get off high blood pressure meds and run a healthy low blood pressure and I give all the credit to the critters who make me laugh and make my life so much more stressfree and fun.

Support

True BYH Addict
Administrator
Reaction score
They give more meaning to my life and are a constant source of learning. I love sitting outside and watching two kids practicing head butting one another and listening to the ducks, who sound like they just heard the best joke ever told. I was able to get off high blood pressure meds and run a healthy low blood pressure and I give all the credit to the critters who make me laugh and make my life so much more stressfree and fun.
:thumbsup

schmije

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It makes me happy to give them treats and hay and to watch them play in the yard. If I'm having a rough day, a visit to the critters makes me feel a little better. I also enjoy teaching visitors about the animals and showing others how useful they can be.

If I won the lottery I'd quit my job and expand my farm.

Latest posts