Official Poll: What type of herd animals do you own?

What type of herd animals do you own?

• Total voters

Moonlight Menagerie LLC

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
lambs jump dori 1-14.jpg
lambs against dori.jpg
I have Soay Sheep, an Angora goat, 3 miniature pigs, 2 miniature donkeys, 4 miniature horses, 2 ponies, 1 miniature steer, 3 Indian Runner ducks, an Americana hen, 20 miniature rabbits, and 3 Bernese Mountain dogs.

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How do we vote? It won't let me click on anything. I have 6 ND goats, 11 chickens and 2 dogs (pets not LGD) although they are wonderful with both the goats and the chickens. Oh, and the other 2 animals are little humans lol

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Go to the first page, that is where you can enter your info for the poll. :)

How do we vote? It won't let me click on anything. I have 6 ND goats, 11 chickens and 2 dogs (pets not LGD) although they are wonderful with both the goats and the chickens. Oh, and the other 2 animals are little humans lol

Martin Farms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well my husband told me yesterday our pup is ready, Rambo is his name. We are buying him off a guy we rent pasture beside of. Can't wait to get him and start him with our goats, but quick question for you. I have a few goats that will butt the far outta my dogs for no reason, she just comes right up beside me and butts Turbo until i shew her off. What would you put the pup in to start out to get them used to him?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well my husband told me yesterday our pup is ready, Rambo is his name. We are buying him off a guy we rent pasture beside of. Can't wait to get him and start him with our goats, but quick question for you. I have a few goats that will butt the far outta my dogs for no reason, she just comes right up beside me and butts Turbo until i shew her off. What would you put the pup in to start out to get them used to him?
This is from my website- it is an excerpt.... it gives you the basic idea. For a bit more detail you may want to start a new thread in the LGD forum... better to post it there and we can address the bossy goats! LOL

"Our LGD's are integrated into every aspect of our lives. As puppies they spend time with us in our home as well as the fields. They are well socialized, house-trained, groomed, and taught basic manners such as sit and come. Pups with parent stock are raised from birth with livestock. Ours pups are introduced to our livestock at 8 weeks of age if parent stock is unavailable. From 8-12 weeks they are with the livestock in a supervised setting. After 3 months the dogs are with the livestock throughout the day with periods of separation. Those separation periods are for "house" time with their human family, and playtime outside of the livestock areas.

When our dogs are 4 months we begin basic obedience skills. Walking on lead, heal, sit/stay, and a short "down" with the "come" command. Our LGD's are not "over trained" but taught simple basic commands. The Great Pyrenees as well as the Anatolian do very well with the down command as they think it means it's belly rub time. The command "come" is often more of a suggestion to the LGD, leaning always toward what they deem to be in their best interest. We will often refresh our dogs on these skills. From 16-20 weeks pups are in with livestock fulltime with their training and playtime outside of the livestock area daily.

Allowing daily playtime outside of the livestock areas prevents bored puppies from developing undesirable behaviors with the livestock, such as chasing, or rough playing. It promotes the desire to please their human masters while building confidence, good social skills, and the development of their guarding skills."