Ohiogoatgirl's 2018 Lambing thread

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Waaaiting game... Still nothing. The temp dropped and we got some spitting rain turned snow. If Hairy was at 80% before then she has surpassed 100% now! I swear if she holds out passed Saturday I'm going to threaten her! This is supposed to be lambing, not a hostage situation! :tongue:barnie She can't hold 'em/it in there forever!

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of snow.. Short clip of me two weeks ago when we got several inches.. Pleading with the weather to at least make up it's mind.. Since then we have gotten more frequent fluctuations from 40-45*F days, teasing sun, rain, a crazy thunderstorm, snow and 20*F temps, more 40*F days, rain again, rain turn to snow,....
It's just screwing with me now... :hide If we can keep it above 20*F for the next month I'll be happy enough to get by though!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeHVhPrnF7m/?taken-by=girlwalkswithgoats

Sept 7, 2017 Proof Hairy wasn't always fat as a tick... Katahdin/Romanov/finn (I don't think I said that here yet) and most likely bred by Butthead the cormo/shetland ram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYvVKhxneBc/?tagged=charactercrossbreed

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You really should consider contacting support and seeing if you can change your name to Ohiosheepgirl... justsayin :hu

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You really should consider contacting support and seeing if you can change your name to Ohiosheepgirl... justsayin :hu

Meh, I'm attached now.. Lol. Plus I have the same name on several forums and I'd just confuse myself :idunno

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Home from work, went out and checked on the sheep. I couldn't quite see if Hairy had a 'loogie' hanging from her back end... or if it was a very perfectly placed piece of hay... And every time I got a straight on look at her back end there was a puff-ball wooly idiot (or three) in the middle of us so I couldn't see a darn thing... :tongue
Luckily I am off work tomorrow so unless I fall asleep here right quick (pfft! yeah right!) then I will most likely head back out before I go to sleep.

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
1am check.. It's 12*F and with the dusting of snow and clear sky I didn't turn the light on until I was into the paddock. Bright enough I had a distinct shadow in the moonlight. Always makes for pretty scenery. The temp however was less enjoyable...
Still unsure if Hairy has some discharge or not. I'm tired. See what the morning brings.

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
During feeding I lucked into all the ewes going into the shelter. All of them all at once. Score! So I pulled the panel around and tied it up. After they finished the feed I wrestled most of them to check for udders. I hadn't thought to check them like a month ago for a baseline.

Hairy- absolutely nothing. If I didn't already know she has lambed at least once before I would have guessed she hadn't. The skin isn't even a little paunchy. :smackHer back end might be saying "babies at any moment" but her udder does not.

white cross ewes- the two older looking ewes have paunchy udders. The younger two don't show anything.

Pigpig & Midget- paunchy udders.

black shetland ewe- no show

black cross ewe- slightly paunchy

All of the ewe's back ends are getting puffy. At this point I think Hairy could lamb tonight but I don't think it is likely. I think they are all due starting the 23rd.

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No change. I am assuming all will start about the 23rd. I am hoping for a good round of lambs decently close together. If one ewe goes per day I'll be done before the first week of March is over... :idunnoHey a girl can dream! :gig

Since there was some chasing with Fitz and his two ewes (blk cross ewe, blk shetland ewe) near the end of the groups being together I am guessing that they could be the last ones to go. Although just going by how round they all are I would not guess they are any farther behind. We shall just have to wait and see... :caf