Older does for meat?

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 3 older does that I just need gone. The problem is that they all have names and sweet faces. Has anyone butchered a 9 year old nubian doe? Is it doing to be nasty tasting? I don't want to butcher if it won't taste good. I would have to have someone else do the killing part, but I think I could do the rest…..maybe.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was hoping that somebody with experience would answer you cuz I'd kinda like to know too. This is just a guess, but I don't think there would be any issue....could always just make ground meat out of 'em and I'll bet it would be just fine.

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know you requested someone with experience and this is my one experience with strong tasting meat. I have never ate goats except at a barbeque years ago but with strong tasting animals like boar hogs or antelope I think grinding into sausage would be good. My sister gave me some meat (it was antelope if I remember correctly) and also a recipe for summer sausage because of the strong taste. It came out great and I would think that any type of ground meat with enough seasoning would work for this.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
How many dogs do you have?

A good BBQ sauce can make a stronger meat tasty. This is meaning a strong, not nasty taste, to the meats.

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know why I never look to see when these are posted. I'm always answering or discussing things that are years old, lol. Oh well. Mini Horses are you asking how many dogs I have? If you are asking how many does I have, it's none. I had a couple for pets many years ago. As far as the barbecue goat it was many, many years ago and I'm pretty sure I was at a party and probably more than a little drunk at the time. Thank goodness those days are over, lol. Looks like we both joined BYH recently.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm asking about dogs as the goat meat, if not tasty tp you, could always be used for dog food. Many on this site have used scraps for dog food.

Yep, joined a yr ago but, have had about 50 yrs of farming, livestock raising. I'm just saying, a not so tasty to us meat may be wonderful to another...a dog, for instance, which most have with a farm. Often there are several dogs. Food is expensive for them -- I know I pay handsomely for dog & cat food!!