One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just got caught up. Your does have given you some precious, beautiful kids. Quads! Wow! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, sometimes you just have to get away and go have some fun. Your farm sitter sounds like a good one, yes the steers got out, but were easily corralled again.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I remember Coleus had a pretty darn good udder, so I'm sure you are happy with that!

I did notice that on Moonpie, but I saw quite a few other Nigies at the different shows like that too. None of ours are like that, but it's not like we have a ton of nigies. How common is it, do you see it a lot?

I'm so excited to see these guys as they grow! I assumed you'll be taking all of these girls to the RM show?

Moonpie is very much like her mother
Very thin and dairy
Udder is identical
Molasses teat placement isn't the same

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
So the steers are liking their new home
They are at least liking the feed at their new home
They are actually getting a little to friendly
Too big of an animal to get too close
Took them a bucket of feed last night and heard a womp womp womp sound behind me and turned to see a 700 lb animal running towards me kicking his feet in the air like a baby goat does

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Took them a bucket of feed last night and heard a womp womp womp sound behind me and turned to see a 700 lb animal running towards me kicking his feet in the air like a baby goat does
Oh my!!! I hear the thunder of 24 feet (2 per chicken) but that is a WHOLE lot different! Best stay on your side of the fence with those steers.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my!!! I hear the thunder of 24 feet (2 per chicken) but that is a WHOLE lot different! Best stay on your side of the fence with those steers.

We have to walk through the area where the steers are to get to out buck pen

When you do the steers are starting to crowd us too much

Got to fix that

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's why we opted not to have cows. I've had all I want of 2,000 pound bulls. I used to carry a pipe with me so I could whallop my longhorn bull across his nose when he ran at me. Nope. No more.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get that many people have had bad experiences with cattle. But, I want my cattle to come to me when I call or shake a bucket. That said, I also make sure that they realize that they will get their noses or whatever hurt if they get too enthusiastic. And due to the ankle/knee issues, it is hard to get out of their way when they want feed.

I usually get the feed into the bunks, troughs, or whatever in the pens with the gates closed and then open them for the animals to come in. In another field, there is one trough that I can pretty much get the feed into while walking quickly along it, then go to the other one, while they are pushing at the first. I think nothing of taking an empty bucket and walloping them with it, or a cattle sorting stick or whatever. But we DO NOT KEEP MEAN ANIMALS. If they want to fight me for any reason other than a new baby on the ground, they have written their ticket out.
The steers are showing their pleasure at you coming to feed them, and running and kicking up their heels is their only way to do it. Just watch them, and when they get close, make sure you do smack them so they know they are invading your space. Yes, you have to watch their heels as they don't realize that they can hurt you. They will probably calm down a bit once they realize that this is a regular thing. And as they gain a little weight, the running, kicking does usually slow down or stop. I have found that when I have cows or anything crowding me, that a loud, NO and a smack with a stick will get them to back off and realize that they are not going to get something everytime they see me. A regular time to feed will help as they will realize that if you are out there at a different than usual time, that they aren't going to get anything. Routine does help.

Latest posts