One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mike CHS
Fixed my sight
I wonder if I should put on S&W Facebook page that I had to fix my brand new firearm with Crazy Glue after 1st 10 rounds
If you zoom in you can see the crazy glue in the 2nd picture
I've got a long weekend with Columbus day so going to go to range to test out
I have 10 days of vacation to use by the end of the year

20181006_155931.jpg

20181006_143926.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
In was just talking to Maurine about the NC State Fair which is coming up in a couple of weeks
She reminded me that the fair isn't going to have a champion challenge this year
Instead, they sanctioned another age group 7 years old and above
The change is all because of a thread last year on Face Book before the fair
It seems that an official from the state fair was reading the posts and was appalled at the attitudes that people displayed in regards to blocking other exhibitors from getting championship legs for their animals
The attitude was that because the show paid premiums the heck with everyone else
Very sad
Just goes to show you need to be careful about what you put online
It may come back to bite you

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
people displayed in regards to blocking other exhibitors from getting championship legs for their animals
what does that mean...the 'championship legs' part and how were 'other exhibitors' being 'blocked' from acquiring these 'championship legs'?

(I assume you aren't talking about this kind of championship state fair legs.. )

giant turkeylegs.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
what does that mean...the 'championship legs' part and how were 'other exhibitors' being 'blocked' from acquiring these 'championship legs'?

(I assume you aren't talking about this kind of championship state fair legs.. )

View attachment 53031

No not those state fair legs but I always have a couple of those

In dairy goats once an animal has a certain number of wins under specific rules they are said to be a " finished" champion
The wins are called "legs"
The champion challenge is a class you enter finished champions and they "challenge" the grand champion of the day for a "Best of Breed" ribbon
I'm not going to get into all of the details but there were comments that indicated that when money was involved that sportsmanship was not important
And that people who cared about good sportsmanship were being naive

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure how it will change much.
I do think most people coming from out of state are coming for the premiums.
In state- it sure is nice but it is also the best show of the year. So many goats, so many people! Such a fun place to be.
I know you all care about sportsmanship, as do we.
Could be a very good thing in the end. You guys have always done the CC - you have quite a few finished does- could be real good for you all! :)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
No not those state fair legs but I always have a couple of those

In dairy goats once an animal has a certain number of wins under specific rules they are said to be a " finished" champion
The wins are called "legs"
The champion challenge is a class you enter finished champions and they "challenge" the grand champion of the day for a "Best of Breed" ribbon
I'm not going to get into all of the details but there were comments that indicated that when money was involved that sportsmanship was not important
And that people who cared about good sportsmanship were being naive
So it is/was possible that the best animal at the show was not awarded champion simply because they hadn't enough 'legs' or I suppose could be stated as they: ' hadn't paid their dues"?

Are these mostly young exhibitors or adults showing animals?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
So it is/was possible that the best animal at the show was not awarded champion simply because they hadn't enough 'legs' or I suppose could be stated as they: ' hadn't paid their dues"?

Are these mostly young exhibitors or adults showing animals?

I'm not sure I know what you mean
This is the "open" show so it is a combination of youth and adults
There is a separate youth only show