OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
1638473656882.jpeg

1638473676232.jpeg

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats OFA!!! And so exciting to see Rachel getting into something a little bigger. How do you feel about the show cows?

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
We still have the goats too. The cows are just more mouths for me to feed. REALLY BIG MOUTHS :D =D
How are the goats doing? Are you guys still showing everything? Totally shocking how much the bigger animals go through. I'm sure you are very close with the folks at your feed store.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am smiling with the pics of her and the show cattle. Good for her... and yes they do EAT A LOT MORE.....

I lost my mom in June then my father in Sept.... been a tough year. Had my ankle replaced in Feb 2020, went real good and I have been very happy with it. Did BOTH knees Oct 26th 2021... surgery went well, rehab was horrific and it has been tough with allergic reactions to drugs and adhesive and the glue for the zip-line that they use in place of stitches... it has been a tough 5 weeks but getting back into things a little at a time. Bought a house Aug 2020, and worked on it some, and got the last of the stuff moved 6 months ago. Still lots to do... but smaller payments and no one to tell me who/shat/when/where or why. Interest rate under 3%.... so that was good....All in my journal.

Looking forward to seeing the goats and how things have been going.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan She's "showing" the cattle, but I don't know if you could say they are "show" cattle ;)

The first pictures are at the 4H show and sale. Maurine still manages a farmers market and a lady who is a vendor has cattle. Her 9 year old grand daughter was showing and they asked Rachel to show with her, they had a "spare", Ferdinand.

I've learned that people spend a lot of money on "show" steers. But, Rachel got a nice check for the effort.

The white cattle were at the N.C. State Fair. Same folks, but after an incident with a horse, the 9 year olds parents wanted her to take a break from the big animals ( we are getting her set up with some goats :D =D
So, they asked Rachel and this other girl from N.C. State to show some of their Piedmontese. Not sure if you've heard of those, I never had. So, there was a show for Angus, Hertford, and All others. In the all other show the judge asked them what kind of cattle they were and he said he had never heard of them and put them last. :rolleyes:
But, the "Piedmontese Breeders Association" gave Rachel $100.

The plan was that we were going to spend a little money to get Rachel a show quality, local Hertford but the darn thing dropped dead in the pasture before we got him (thank goodness).

So, Rachel and Maurine drive 3 hours to Statesville yesterday which is right on I77 and met a breeder from Ohio to pick up a Shorthorn + Plus. After the Hertford died, there weren't any show animals around. I'll get some pictures of "Drake" when I can. :thumbsup

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, what a change...or addition. 😁 Congrats on 3 yr smoke free!!

We've missed your presence...good to hear all is well! Come back anytime!!! 🤣

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even I have heard of Piedmontese cattle. Just look at that hindquarter! That steer has a bootie any R&B singer would be proud to have!

You sure dodged a bullet on the Hereford. Better it to keel over dead before you picked it up than after you got it home.

What is a Shorthorn+ plus? I know what a Shorthorn is, but what is the Plus?

Really glad to hear from you and know that everything is going good for you and family.