Opinions Please

Are 2 dogs enough for 2 herds on 12 acres?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We had another talk with our friend, and the answer is no on the dog, no to a donkey, no to the other dog being with our animals. In short, we are now looking for our own land.

Wow! Well now you know this is not a workable situation. I am sorry it came to this, but glad you are formulating a plan.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just as well to find out now before you invest in fencing property that is not yours. Save your money for your own property and your own fencing. You will find a place where you are meant to be, and your experiences with your sheep will be even more valuable there.

In what area of the country are you located?

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
if they want to add the second dog and you want to put in a llama that might be a good choice. I like my llama's because they eat the same thing as the animals and stay with them.
I said llamas cuz I have a gelded male with each group.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you go the llama route. make sure that they are gelded! We adopted 2 male llamas some years ago to help our LGDs. One was gelded and the other was not. The adoption society assured us that ungelded llamas were safe to handle and that the ungelded male would not act any different than the gelded male. After kidding season the ungelded male tried to mount our dairy does! The smell from giving birth made him think they were in heat. Luckily we saw him chasing them and trying to mount them in time to prevent serious injury. We shoved him in the trailer and whisked him off to the vet for castration. He could have seriously injured our does instead of some slight bruising and scratches. First introduction to llamas. Also, make sure they are halter broken. The gelded male had been a 4-H project and was a delight. The other required more work to capture and restrain when the vet came or we needed to confine him. Once caught in a small pen and haltered, he led and trailered. The 4-H project would allow you to walk up to him and pet him, halter him, etc. The adoption society made us adopt 2 - they would not allow us to just take the friendly one. Probably because they knew that no one else would adopt him. Since we did not know anything about llamas we did not know that the 4-H pet would have been fine as the only llama in with our goats and sheep. LOL