Orphaned Spanish goats

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We don't really have an actual feed store. We have a Tractor Supply but the people who work there aren't the most competent people. Even the vets looked at me weird when I asked if they disbud kids. I think my husband and I will just have to watch tons of videos and order the disbudding iron. And do it ourselves. I'm in Monahans. About 45 miles west of Odessa

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Awe thanks. Yeah I seem to be way out here. Away from everyone that has experience in what I'm jumping head first into. Lol

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is frightening more for you than the kids. But you need to do them soon, like NOW. 7-10 days for most of the big goats. Since you are beginner the smaller the little horn bud the better. I use a disbudding box but my friend wraps them in a burlap bag or a big towel and sits on them. She also ices the burn.

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's what I was reading. So I'm ordering the iron and going to have it expressed or something. Yeah I'm really nervous about it. But I guess the Lord thinks were ready. :)

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you Southern by choice

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Disbudding iron will be here today. So will vaccines to give goats. Seriously nervous about disbudding the girls. But on a lighter note they will be getting shots. On the pneumonia shot when do I give it?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do it at 3 weeks or when I do the first CDT if the kid is from a doe that has not been vaccinated. Then I do another when they are 4 months if they are still here. If the kids are from a vaccinated doe I don't do it all until I do the entire herd the following year.

This is from the manufactures label.

Animals vaccinated when less than 3 months old should be re-vaccinated at weaning or at 4 to 6 months of age.