Parasite management

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aloha Baymule,

Have you actually tested the efficacy of using Garlic Barrier? I'm always skeptical of things like that. ]

Having just started doing fecal testing, the answer to that is no. But @Mike CHS and his wife Teresa, she taught me how to do fecals, use Garlic Barrier and it does work for them. They also do use wormers, but the Garlic Barrier helps to cut down on the need for them. I have used it for a couple of years. I have no proof that it works, other than my sheep aren't dead. :D =D

lilipansy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@lilipansy you have some real nice pastures. Your ram is just beautiful. I'd send him a big hug and smoochy kiss, but he probably wouldn't like it. LOL

He actually is THE sweetest sheep. He's very tame and loves scratches on his nose and ears. I didn't train him to be this way, he just naturally has a great disposition. He thanks you for the big hug and smoochy kisses. :love

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a thought.....does Garlic Barrier flavour the meat?

I'm told that old rams have a particularly strong taste, particularly around 'tupping season' and locally called 'tup taint' or 'ram taint' such that ewe mutton is considered superior (apart from those folk who like 'gamey tastes').

As always I don't have a clue what these things taste like (veggie), but I'd guess that garlic goes fine with lamb/mutton.

lilipansy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just a thought.....does Garlic Barrier flavour the meat?

I'm told that old rams have a particularly strong taste, particularly around 'tupping season' and locally called 'tup taint' or 'ram taint' such that ewe mutton is considered superior (apart from those folk who like 'gamey tastes').

As always I don't have a clue what these things taste like (veggie), but I'd guess that garlic goes fine with lamb/mutton.

I'm not sure how much garlic would impact the flavor of the meat (although it would be nice). I've heard that it does impact the flavor of the milk from someone who would graze goats on wild ramp on season. Garlicky goat cheese... yum!

BreanneRN

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've always considered worms and parasites to be a management problem, not sure I would ever cull for something that might be my fault, without first addressing it in multiple ways, particularly if the animal was productive and maintaining body condition in spite of the problem. I might separate out that particular group of animals for some kind of rotational intensive treatment to reduce the burden and checking for clearance before releasing back to the rest of the flock. Still, my situation is not yours and I am a small-holder of only 25 or so sheep. I realize that many don't care that some things can be managed, they just don't want to. The plan is to cull those problems that the current management plan hasn't managed. In other words, cull to make the flock fit the management plan in place. And, I admit that that may be the best plan for some, especially for those that have a large, commercial flock.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The plan is to cull those problems that the current management plan hasn't managed. In other words, cull to make the flock fit the management plan in place. And, I admit that that may be the best plan for some, especially for those that have a large, commercial flock.

That's how I have always done my chicken flocks and will likely do with the sheep. If most of the animals thrive on my management style and only one or two do not, then those are the animals I cull. I consider that not so much a flock or a management problem but an individual bird or genetics problem.

It works well for smaller operations also as it cuts down on having to crutch up the genetics of poorer flock members by treating or supplementing them to keep them in good condition. My goal is to have a naturally hardy flock that produces well, be it chickens or sheep and my management is all geared towards promoting that. Culling is a good tool in my style of management.

Now, if a lot of the flock or herd are not fitting the management style, then the management is what needs to change. Either one has bred the wrong genetics or they are relying on techniques that do not work in the long run.