PARASITES!

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i have a 2 year old ND doe who started loosing hair along her back. on closer inspection there where small burnt brown yellow orangish (sorry dont know how to explain it like a light toned brown orange lol) little bitty pests crawling around in there. A couple months ago i had a buck pass away and i noticed he also had these but i had checked all my other goats and since none of them had them i kinda forgot about them (bad idea i know). now she does and i was wondering what exactly they'de be and how i get rid of them and keep them gone

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lice:
and there are lots of powders, sprays, pour-ons and injections you can use to get rid of them. The key is to retreat every 10 to 12 days to break the life cycle.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ok, if my goats have it then my sheep probably has it too, i'm guessing any pour-ons whon't penetrate her wool so what injectable can i use for her? also do i need to treat there whole area they where living in? i have a barn with a 2 acre pasture attached so i'm not so sure thats much of a possibility

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
manybirds said:
ok, if my goats have it then my sheep probably has it too, i'm guessing any pour-ons whon't penetrate her wool so what injectable can i use for her?
See the link that I posted above for injectible options for your sheep.

also do i need to treat there whole area they where living in?
Yes. Once now and again in 10-14 days

i have a barn with a 2 acre pasture attached so i'm not so sure thats much of a possibility
Treat the barn and it's bedding or remove and burn the bedding and treat the floor. Don't worry about treating the pasture.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
also there seems too be rapid hairloss in 2 of my does, i thought it was from rubbing cause of ichyness from the lice but i was petting my one doe and it was falling out in my hand?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
You're gonna have to get rid of those lice sooner rather than later. Thorough treatment of both the herd and the living quarters with a repeat in 10-14 days is key. Hair loss is not uncommon in a heavy infestation.