Pastor Dave's Highlights

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
We currently have a well, but when the electricity goes out, no pump. That's gotta get fixed with either a generator or hand-prime pump. Same with our heat. We are on a natural gas pipeline. Need that generator... I have considered a solar generator to alleviate the need for combustible fuels. We have a fruit cellar out back that would hold plenty of canned goods. The garden should be up and running starting next Spring. We have rabbit meat, plan to have Layers for eggs, and minis or dwarf dairy goats for milk and some additional meat. That's my plan at this point. I will help anyone during a time of personal crisis or even natural disaster on a bigger scale, but I will get mean if someone tries to steal what they want. I guess in my thinking, I'm not getting ready for a disaster, but a time similar to the Great Depression. I do not want to have to depend on grocery stores, etc.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
We currently have a well, but when the electricity goes out, no pump. That's gotta get fixed with either a generator or hand-prime pump. Same with our heat. We are on a natural gas pipeline. Need that generator... I have considered a solar generator to alleviate the need for combustible fuels. We have a fruit cellar out back that would hold plenty of canned goods. The garden should be up and running starting next Spring. We have rabbit meat, plan to have Layers for eggs, and minis or dwarf dairy goats for milk and some additional meat. That's my plan at this point. I will help anyone during a time of personal crisis or even natural disaster on a bigger scale, but I will get mean if someone tries to steal what they want. I guess in my thinking, I'm not getting ready for a disaster, but a time similar to the Great Depression. I do not want to have to depend on grocery stores, etc.

We got a hand pump for our well.....that will carry us through most any situation. :thumbsup

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I enjoy teaching others how to garden, can and make jelly. it's hard to find anyone who wants to learn, but I will sure do all I can to help someone learn. What good is it to know a lot of stuff if you die and take it all with you?

I think it is best to know how to live "without". Apply the word and idea of "without" to anything that you have/use now and it gets you thinking. Apply "without" to electricity and all of a sudden all those fancy gadgets are door stops. LOL My great aunt said it was her job to clean the glass chimneys on the kerosene lamps every morning so they would be clear and bright for the night.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Grandpa and Grandma had an old kerosene style lamp that had been converted to electric as their living room light. It hung from the middle of the ceiling with a cord that ran to the wall and down to the floor to an outlet. We took it out to keep it when the place sold. It has a green glass bowl and a clear glass chimney with copper shade and a pulley system and chain to lower and raise it. Dad said Grandpa had taken it from his parents place in the 60's before my aunt and uncle moved in there and he had wired it for electric. It has some age to it. I can imagine it holding kerosene and them lighting it at night. I still have it in a box because can't find the right spot for it at the moment. I love the history of it.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll refrain from my scenario, but mom and I would talk quite a bit about the ability to survive in different situations....one of the things that always troubled her was that she had a ton of experience and knowledge, and was more than willing to share it with anyone that wished to learn or even listen....but those were few and far between....the grands sure didn't care about learning...heck, very few even visited....mom taught Joyce and the youngest daughter a good bit and I learned growing up....she came up thru the depression in a family of share croppers....so, poor had a whole different meaning then as opposed to now....I told her that in today's world it would be much tougher than then, because staple goods are no longer handled and sold as they use to be....and horses and mules aren't nearly as readily available....ya sure can't go get coal-oil anywhere either....there are a higher percentage of people in metropolitan areas that are clueless about surviving and as willing to band together either.....most would rather shoot ya and take what ya have and then move on to the next place....it will be the "have nots" tbat will battle for scraps, while the "haves" will be protected and served.....I've already resigned myself to not running or hiding and being non-productive I wouldn't be kept around for long....so, when things get tough I'll find a spot and sit and wait.....there will be a Better day ahead.....:)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
:DI have a well & I have a hand pump BUT well is 510' & not good for a hand pump :D =D. I have a generator which can plug in at the meter & be a "whole house" functioning unit. Also, access to another OLD rock lined well at rear of my property. Hand pump will work there, if needed. :rolleyes:

We all know the issue with gas and a generator. Propane would be better, easier to store a good amount. I have a propane heater -- one that looks like a wood stove -- will heat my house. AND have kero lamps (plus a kero heater). I feel reasonably "OK" for short term power outages, etc. Forever? Well, I'd can up anything in the freezer first. :lol:
I looked at some solar gen & woowee $$$$. But, a small one would work for frig & small stuff -- phone chargers, etc.

One buyer wrote that they used theirs one week each month to save some electric...and make sure it was working well. :idunnowhy spend so much to sit in the garage? Good thinking, as no fuel expense to run it.

I like to be a self-providing as I can be...and prepared for more.