Pastor Dave's Highlights

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess, now we don't have to keep wondering "who Cut the cheese".....:lol:
:lol::lol::lol: But he didn't "cut the cheese" on Saturday, he was off. ;)

for ya young'uns out there ya may not know what that means....but most of us old folks have said it more than once in our lives.
Oh man, I know what it means...so I guess I am old. :D

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today my line was down half the shift, so got to go cut on Ln 18 next to 21. I will train on Ln 18 soon because my team is both lines. When you cut on 18, you also help cut on 17 and 20 which are next ones over. They all manually cut the big 640's over there and then roll them in the cut 40's to those 3 lines. If a cutter steps away to go check the wire harps or do a dicer head check periodically, which cuts the cubes, you go put 40's on those other lines for someone. It stays busy. By abt 7 or so, 21 was back up and spent the remainder of the shift back there. Everyone works together.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will probably sound crazy, and maybe it's just lack of sleep that makes me share, but I have had a feeling, "nudge", something pushing me to become as self sufficient as possible. I don't know why or to what extent I can, but am trying to line up with that goal.

My grandparents had a medium sized farm preWW2 and following. It was a dairy farm, and Grandpa raised hogs, while Grandma raised some sheep and chickens. Grandma had huge garden plots and they had sugar cane. They bought flour, coffee, gasoline, and other wares and necessities. NOT VERY MUCH! Grandma made their clothes right down to her own under garments. It was life to them, and it was normal.

I would love to get to that, but probably won't come close. Yet the urgency is still present. It's not sharp or accelerated, but steady and slow moving. It started with getting back to my rabbits 4 yrs ago and has lead to buying our current homestead.

Joseph in Genesis was to save all of Egypt including his family from famine, but first he had to get to Egypt. And, he had to get to a place of management and authority. This is a timely process. Maybe I am a bit crazy. Haahaahaaaa:duc

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not crazy at all. You might have seen on the news, the hurricane Rita evacuation from the Houston area in September 2005. It was chaos. This was only 3 weeks after hurricane Katrina turned New Orleans into a soup bowl and people hit the panic button. We were in Livingston, 75 miles north of Houston on Highway 59. People were supposed to go past us, up to Nacogdoches and fan out. They never made it. A normally 2 hour trip took 28 hours and people ran out of gas as they reached our town. Not only our town, but all the little towns north and west of Houston.

It was hot, cars over heated and were abandoned on the roadsides. Several people died in the hot cars. There was no gasoline, no food, no water, just scared people fleeing before a hurricane.

I was a Red Cross volunteer and spent nights at the elementary school a couple of blocks from our house. The town opened up the schools and churches to shelter people. We sheltered friends that lived in mobile homes, so our house was full of people. I spent a couple of nights at our church. Members opened up their freezers, which had no electricity, and cooked food on gas fish fryers. They ran out of food and I went foraging. I ran into the owner of a Sonic hamburger drive in and he loaded up the back of my truck. After the church got all they wanted, I passed out food around our neighborhood.

Most people were grateful and civilized, sadly some were not. People were angry and rude because we were not prepared for them. One lady got mad because we didn't have milk at church for her to drink, we only had water. She was invited to leave.

over 2,000 people were sheltered in our junior High, and they destroyed it, even rubbing human feces on the walls. Animals.

Fortunately, the gas tankers ran, gas stations had gas and people went back home. It was about to get real bad, so that was a relief.

Everywhere people went, they left a trail of trash. Whatever they consumed, they threw trash out the window. I understand pooping in parking lots, when you gotta go, you gotta go and there isn't much choice about that. But why litter up the roads and towns and places that helped them?

It was an eye opener for me. From that day forward, we were moving farther north, away from Houston. I never wanted to be any where near in the path of scared people running out of Houston ever again, or any where else for that matter.

Hurricane Ike came blasting in like a freight train in September 2008. Few people evacuated. Hurricane Harvey hit in August 2017, people should have left, but didn't. My own sister got 7 feet of water in her house and they were rescued from their 2nd floor.

So, are you crazy? No. Not one bit. There are so many things that could go wrong and send people over the edge, from weather, to economic downfall to disease epidemics to anything. In any of those situations, if you have a pantry of canned goods, both store bought and home canned, dehydrated and stored foods, a source of water, shelter and a way to raise food to replenish what you use, then you are not crazy, you are smart. That creepy feeling up your back is telling you something, you are wise to listen.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Personally, I don't feel the urge to be self-sufficient because of possible disasters -- although that is an issue -- but, because I feel that is where our Nation needs to go. More SELF providing. It creates responsibility, which is sorely lacking in many areas.

Like Pastor Dave, I feel a desire to do -- at least know how -- to provide. My grandparents little farms gave me this picture of clean living. I always loved it. Things we don't even consider now were "normal daily life" to them. This is not a "situation that happened" and now there are short term problems but, a true lifestyle calling.