Pastor Dave's Highlights

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some of you may have had or remember hearing of Scrapple. The first time I made it, or heard of it for that matter, was when I harvested and processed my first Whitetail buck. We had always liked cornmeal mush and grits, etc so having it flavored with all that venison, broth, and spices, then floured and fried crisp in flat pieces, was the best I think I have ever eaten.

I understand the ones that specialized in creating this were using up scrap meat and heads, organs, etc., but I used roast. I even read that kings and royalty ate it with jam on it as a pre-course to other game or fowl. I believe it lost some of its popularity as folks quit butchering own livestock. Maybe it is still popular in the Old South and New England?

I am going to make up a batch soon. Anyone else game? See what I did there?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Naw Dave, I've never had that and have ate a ton of grits in my life....and, my parents that grew up during the Depression never presented us with it either. We did however, have something called souse....better known here as "Head Cheese". It is made of the scraps and pcs off the head of a pig and consists of chopped snouts, ears, and cheek meat. I was never privy to its making, but have eaten some. It all depends on the spices used in it as to its flavor....some good, some bad but never a real fan of it. I much rather have bacon, sausage, or ham....:)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Have heard of scrapple but have never made it nor eaten it. I would have no problem at all in trying it were the opportunity presented. The way you describe it makes it sound very appealing. Hope yours come out fit for royalty! :D

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fred, my dad loved souse, but it tasted awful when I ate it. Scrapple reminds me of corn meal dressing/stuffing, but it forms solid in a loaf pan. You can cut it in slices or flatten it like a patty and flour it, then fry it in oil or preferably butter. It isn't bacon, sausage, or ham, but good. I could eat it for breakfast or supper :drool

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I noticed I hadn't posted for a while. I have been busy reading all your interesting threads and nothing much happening here.

Cleaned out catch pans Tuesday. Abt a three hour job if I spray em out with a hose before reapplying the ag lime and wood bedding pellets. That day, I just dumped reapplied lime and pellets and put back in place. It still gave me abt 2/3 of a p/u bed of manure, straw, spilled hay, etc. Now, it is a short bed only 6' since ext. cab, but still holds a lot of "content".

I have 10 fryers quickly becoming roasters that need butchered. I can usually get by with 2 of the 50lb sacks of feed to go along with free fed hay per month, but lately I have been buying a sack every 10 days. My procedure is have 2 on hand in a drum with my 50lb sack of Calf Manna as a daily supplement. Once I empty a feed sack, I move the next one over in its slot, and buy another. So, when I rip the string open on a new one, the spare is sitting there too. Works well for winter time. It is just a good habit I got into. If I buy too many and stack em, they risk going stale, and I haven't found anyone giving discounts for buying bulk.

Well, that's abt all going on here on the rabbit ranch. Kids start Fall Break next week. 1/4 of the school year will already be over! Time flies.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something came to mind as I read your post, have ya tried raising and selling earthworms under the rabbit cages? I have heard of several people doing that and the worms really breakdown the rabbit pellets really good and if ya have any bait stores around ya might could supply some with worms to sell....just a thought....:)

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have heard of guys doing it, but never have tried it. It is the only fertilization I use on my hay field though. I wonder if the worms would be able to keep up with the supply. I doubt I will try it, but not a bad idea. Maybe on hutches with no flooring. My operation is on concrete.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
The start to today. 67degs in the house this am. Don't want to fire the propane furnace up yet, so we do this...

It's electric, so no smoke, but looks nice
20171016_082541.jpg

Latest posts