Pasture Feed for Goats

lee&lyric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We want a herd of goats and are in prep mode. We were given the following list:

* perennial peanut;

* hairy indigo;

* morenga tree;

. . . as things to plant in the pasture for our goats. We're looking for something that will take root and grow fairly quickly as we want to get our goats sooner rather than later. While checking into the above list have any of you heard of the things on this list? Are there other plants you can recommend for planting for our goats? We are in Central FL where the heat reigns in the summer, fyi.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

L

capretta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I suggest your farm store's best bag of 'weed seed'! I asked this question just a little while ago myself, and was given this answer. Goats much prefer weeds over grasses and such, and will love the dandelions, chickweed, and any other weedy seeds you can get. I'm sure your goats will love those plants too, but they're surely not necessary. Hope this helps!

lee&lyric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
capretta said:
I suggest your farm store's best bag of 'weed seed'! I asked this question just a little while ago myself, and was given this answer. Goats much prefer weeds over grasses and such, and will love the dandelions, chickweed, and any other weedy seeds you can get. I'm sure your goats will love those plants too, but they're surely not necessary. Hope this helps!
THIS is encouraging. "Weed seed", eh. Never heard of it (then again I'm new to all of this). :) Thanks, Capretta. I just told hubby about it and we'll be on the lookout for some 'cause we want to be getting goats soon.

Lyric

capretta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
lee&lyric said:
capretta said:
THIS is encouraging. "Weed seed", eh. Never heard of it (then again I'm new to all of this). :) Thanks, Capretta. I just told hubby about it and we'll be on the lookout for some 'cause we want to be getting goats soon.

Lyric
Well, glad I could be of assistance! I hope to see some pictures of your new goats here soon!

Mills1950

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just did a "weed seed " search on the Internet and -all they had were marijuana seeds and how to grow----wouldn't you know!!!!! No thanks

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Check with your county's extension agent. They are the best person to tell you what would be best for your exact location and purposes.