Pasture mate compatabilty

BrendaJune

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have 20 acres with two orchards and no usable fencing for animals. We have built a very stout chicken run and coop so far. We have four chickens which is just right for the two of us. We would now like to move on to other animals and start fleshing out the homestead! My goal is to end up with two kune kunes as feeder pigs, three goats, one in milk and two mini cows. Can these breeds share a field or does it need to be divided up for the different breeds? We have one barn that is divided up so they can each have their own area at night. I will not be getting all the animals at once. We are starting with the goats and the perimeter will have woven goat fencing. I appreciate any advise! I am also torn regarding LGD vs a donkey. We are in Nevada and everyone here has a donkey for protection. I have not seen dogs except the sheep herding dogs when the sheep pass through.

GeorgeG

Just born
Reaction score
Hey, well in the old days alll these 'farmyard' animals you mentioned (and more) would all co habit happily together. You have 20 acres, wow im jealous!
In just two acres we have 2 alpaca, 15 chickens, 3 goats and some ducks - all have got along fine for years. The goats fight sure, they head butt each other but only ever each other. They have never been aggressive to anyone or anything else. I think the trick is to everything as tame as possible

BrendaJune

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey, well in the old days alll these 'farmyard' animals you mentioned (and more) would all co habit happily together. You have 20 acres, wow im jealous!
In just two acres we have 2 alpaca, 15 chickens, 3 goats and some ducks - all have got along fine for years. The goats fight sure, they head butt each other but only ever each other. They have never been aggressive to anyone or anything else. I think the trick is to everything as tame as possible
I guess it can be done but I'm kind of leery about it! The cost of fencing is exorbitant!