Pictures of my cows

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, I've seen some rangy old Corriente ropers that looked better and sure not much rump muscling evident, but they're young yet and have hidden attributes.
Rule #1. Never breed for just one specific trait.
HEB is a Texas based grocery chain, known for pretty good meat prices..I buy most of mine from them, but this 1st brisket is a bit out of what I would normally pay...for brisket, but worth every penny.
The 2nd one is a prime CAB brisket. The first one is not, but snickers and haughtily laughs at CAB.

brisket.jpg

primebrisket.jpg

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I figured they might be Wagyu but didn't want to be too much of a smart *** and then have you tell me they were some cull stockyard crap. They don't have much "butt" and really are built more like a dairy animal. I have found that my Jerseys will marble nearly that good so I am perfectly happy to raise them. I also have found that I don't like that much marbling in my meat. I want more flavor and actual meat to eat. I have always liked my hamburger to be very lean, as well as my steaks. But then, I don't cook them to death either, I like my stuff done rare. Another benefit of having your own beef, you don't have the same worries about "under cooking" when it is your meat killed at your local butcher.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I figured they might be Wagyu but didn't want to be too much of a smart *** and then have you tell me they were some cull stockyard crap

No, not culls, tho there are a lot of fantastic looking Wagyu bulls too with plenty of rearend. Until they mature, Wagyu are often some of the sorriest "looking' cattle you will ever see.

I made the Wagyu posts in the manner I did to emphasize that phenotype isn't everything..not even close. No one eats the outside of a cow--well, not usually and very very rarely in this country anyway. Color, pattern, horned/polled..none of that matters.
It does little good to feed out an animal and raise it to slaughter weight only to end up with a LOT of very tough beef.
Quality, yield, feed effeciency, grade, tenderness all have to come together.
and always remember.......the E in EPD stands for "expected" not 'established'.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
No one eats
It does little good to feed out an animal and raise it to slaughter weight only to end up with a LOT of very tough beef.
Quality, yield, feed effeciency, grade, tenderness all have to come together.
and always remember.......the E in EPD stands for "expected" not 'established'.
Since I don't know much on this yet and still learning, please pardon me if my questions sound stupid. :hide
Are there certain ways to raise an animal to be good grade/tenderness?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You've no doubt seen those stainless steel mallets they call meat tenderizers? Well, at least once a week, you need to go out and use one on all the large muscles of the animal. To them it's kinda the equivalent of what a Swedish massage is to us. This will prove to be an excellent exercise routine for you and the animal as well... It chasing you, and you running for your life! :gig :duc:hide:smack;)

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
You've no doubt seen those stainless steel mallets they call meat tenderizers? Well, at least once a week, you need to go out and use one on all the large muscles of the animal. To them it's kinda the equivalent of what a Swedish massage is to us. This will prove to be an excellent exercise routine for you and the animal as well... It chasing you, and you running for your life! :gig :duc:hide:smack;)
Sure and I'll be sure to video thus exercise routine and send it to Ameicas funniest videos. Who knows maybe I'll win! ;):lol: