Pig with bleeding

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I've been feeding based on her size and was told I shouldn't since she's too small. Said I need to make sure she has 1/2 a cup a day. I feel bad bc that's a little more than I was feeding her. I thought I was feeding her more than I should have because of her size and how bloated see gets when she eats. Upping her feed, scheduling her a vet check, and seeing how she fares this weekend.

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, feed is pellets

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but it seems to me like she has a genetic issue and I doubt she'll ever grow. I don't know, it just doesn't seem right the way things have gone with her to date.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It could also be the pellets. We feed out piglets a ground meal because they eat more of it then pellets. Seems they just find it to hard to chew a lot of pellets when they are little, esp if they are large pellets. The amount of water she gets can also effect growth, see if you can pick up one of the no tip pet bowls so she always has water and cant spill it. Or you could train her to drink from a rabbit water bottle, not the ball bearing kind but the sippy spout kind...they function similar to a large pig nipple waterer. I know Lixit and Ferplast both carry sippy spout styles.

This link is for a Lixit one but you can probly shop aroun and find a better price.
https://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Fill-W...rd_wg=5Cwxo&psc=1&refRID=9PTGS4E5X5QQGDQG2CSQ

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Since upping her feed she is starting to grow! She gets 1/2 c a day spread out in little bits every time she starts to make a fuss. I meant to post a newer pic. I'm getting a pack N play today for her. Upping the size of her litter pan. She drinks roughly 30 oz of water a day
CYMERA_20170423_161328.jpg

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She's starting to get jowls. It's adorable!

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's adorable! Please consider leaving food out all the time, so she can graze like a cat. Piglets really do better with this. And congrats on her gaining weight!!

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've heard they'll overeat so it wasn't best to? That pigs are pretty glutinous creatures. I mean my other pigs are definitely that way, so I figured she would be too. Will she not overeat?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
She will overeat in a sense but at her current age and size she should gain size before gaining to much fat which is the normal problem with mini pigs and even full size pigs, so there should not be a problem for her. Our piglets get full feed for the first 2 months, then anyone who is smaller get another month of full feed or however it takes for them to catch up to the group average. Generally those stuck on the hind teats need a little extra.