Pig with bleeding

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This was the 3 before the 2 died :/ they were seizing and having trouble getting air so we put them down :( the other one that died first was the biggest one of the litter. Is there anything I need to do for thE mom to help her dry up without getting mastitis or anything?
20170228_103709.jpg

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
She fell asleep. She's a tad under a lb I do believe. She definitely wasn't getting enough milk because the two black ones were smaller than the white and black ones. But the two females were also the black ones. Should I wait until she stirs to feed her? She stopped shivering when she got settled.

I wouldnt wait until she stirs no. Just try more food in 30-60minutes. After that you can wait 2-4hrs to feed her again. If she is weak or hypothermic she may not stir for quite awhile but not have enough fuel to keep her going while her body tries to recover.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hopefully your last little piglet makes it.

We only ever had one litter of potbelly pigs and they were a complete surprise. The mother belonged to a friend of ours and she was a horrible horrible mean pig, she killed one of his goat kids so she could eat it, killed chickens, took a bite out of my ewe's ear. Anyhow she had a large litter but when we found the only 3 were left and ones head was all swelled up like it had gotten stepped on or something so we had to put it down. The other two died within a few days even though we were bottle feeding them. It was cold out, she never nursed them at all and it was about 12hrs before we found them.

Hopefully you will have much better luck!

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay she drank maybe 4ml that time. Should I give colostrum all today and then regular formula tomorrow?

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And I got her to take the bottle! :)
20170228_141814.jpg

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She's peed twice now. Ate 3 times. Hasn't pooped yet but has tried. I tried helping simulate her butt but it didn't help any. She's so sweet! She's already demanding attention when she's awake. Nudging on my, rooting, curling in my lap:love

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She's taken a bottle 4 times now! Has peed 4 times, and pooped a lot! :D

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She is pooping quite a bit. I'm worried it's considered diarrhea because it's that mustard liquid and she's let out a lot. She's drank a good bit too but I'm worried she's having the runs. Should I stop with the colostrum and go right to piglet formula?

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She sleeps for 30 mins and wakes up wanting to eat and poops every single time she wakes up :/ she grunts and whines until I feed her though