Piglet Savaging

Eroc1_1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are a bit confused tonight. Our Old Spot sow, that had her first litter 2 weeks ago, was found savaging one of her piglets tonight. She has been exceptional up until now and we even planned on keeping a female from her litter for future breeding stock. Now we are unsure if we should even save her after weaning.

I haven't been able to pin down or track a good reason why this would happen. She has been in the same pen, she has gotten an increase in food, and her food hasn't changed.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Could be a vitamin/mineral deficiency, or possibly a lack of essential amino acids. What are you feeding her?

Eroc1_1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry for the late replies! I am feeding a complete 14% hog food from Klambach. She has been on the same food for the last 12 months.

I am surmising that the pig was dead when she decided to consume it. She hasn't shown that tendency since then.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Actually, it's not unusual for carnivores/omnivores to devour dead offspring. Pigs are definitely omnivores, so I wouldn't be too surprised. How many babies does she have? If more than 6 - 7, I'd allow her to have her ration self-fed. Lactating sows need lots of feed to support their offspring.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know I am a little late to reply but needle teeth are sharper on different breeds. My Old spot rejected her whole entire last litter because the piglets were injuring her nips. She was crossed with Hampshire for the first time. Hampshire is a squealing aggressive breed in our encounters anyway. All other litters were with a Berkshire boar. She was content with them. Mild bunch.
Do you clip needle teeth?
We neglected to that litter and in the end she scooped up 2 of them and chucked them about 30 feet out of the pin. One got it's face injured but recovered.
At least in the litter of 12, all gilts!! First for us..:)