Please help me!! Is this mange???

JadeFarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My horse has been losing a bunch of fur and I’m really worried. If anybody knows what it is and how to treat it I would really appreciate it. I’m really worried about her.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks like it may be rain rot, although rain rot is usually on the back and hindquarters. I used Pine O' Pine in a 5 gallon bucket of water and a sponge to wash my horse down with it. I just soaked him good every day, the pine oil in the Pine O' Pine killed the bacteria and his hair grew back in.

JadeFarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help I was very worried about her I really hope this helps. I have pure pine oil, would that work if I put it over the effected areas?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No that would be too much. Dilute it to a half cup to a gallon of water. Sponge it on the affected areas.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is there something she is rubbing on? Most of the missing hair is on bony areas, so if something is making her itch (like biting flies), she may be scratching the itch and rubbing the hair off. There is a product called M-T-G (for mane, tail, groom) that has been around for donkey's years; it's basically sulfur powder in mineral oil. Some horse folks swear by it. It needs to be put on in the evening, because it can contribute to sunburn if the horse is exposed to direct sunlight, and you want to wear gloves because the sulfur smell sticks around for ages if you get it on your hands, but it does help to grow hair on itchy horses.

JadeFarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the help. We are gonna go pick up MTG from TSC soon so I really hope that works.